Tubular via Clincher questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Neither do the support team and that includes their mechanics. Saw a documentary years ago where small outfit in Italy was doing all the sewing and gluing for the various pro teams.
I'm now imagining a room full of Italian grandmothers sitting around sewing up tyres, gossiping about each others families, and giving their grandsons a clip round the ear for getting so many punctures. :smile:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Might just do that, cheers!

The problem with sealant in thin-walled tyres and equally thin-walled tubes is that the high pressure of road tyres just blasts the sealant out without it having a proper chance to congeal. In MTB tyres on the other hand, it works reasonably well. The relative thickness of the tyre and the much, much lower pressure give plenty of purchase to the little granules in the sealant and gives the latex a little bit of time to congeal.

Further, even if your tyre does seal and you then use CO2 to inflate the tyre, it is ruined. The CO2 changes the pH of the suspension (usually an ammonia solution and water) which makes the latex precipitate out of the emulsion and ball up. This leaves the tube with a hard ball of latex and a thin useless and inert soup sloshing through the rest of the tyre that gives you the false impression that you still have some sealant in there.

Citius

Maybe it will, but few, if any tub repairers will touch a tubular which has been treated with sealant, so if the tub won't hold a racing pressure after the repair, the bin is the only other place for it...

Glueing new ones on was easy, but messy, I got glue over my hands, clothes and the rims
Ah yes. When I got my first puncture I was rather celebrating managing to roll the tub off and get the new one on. I kinda failed to notice I'd got glue on my hands until I went to change gears (downtube levers) and realized my hand was so stuck I'd have to stop to pull it off.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Maybe it will, but few, if any tub repairers will touch a tubular which has been treated with sealant, so if the tub won't hold a racing pressure after the repair, the bin is the only other place for it...
Who cares , they hardly break the bank buying a new one .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So if each puncture costs you between £35-70 (depending on what you buy and where you buy them) that's ok, is it?
Works out quite cheap when you add in the saving you get from buying tubs compared to clinchers .
What do you race on ?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So can you put the pit stop stuff in prior to a puncture hoping that it will save a puncture, or does it not work that way?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
So can you put the pit stop stuff in prior to a puncture hoping that it will save a puncture, or does it not work that way?
I squirted some in last season as i didn't know the state of the tubs that came with the wheels . Just fitted a new tub to the rear disk so wont bother as i know its good .

Tim Hall

The problem with sealant in thin-walled tyres and equally thin-walled tubes is that the high pressure of road tyres just blasts the sealant out without it having a proper chance to congeal. In MTB tyres on the other hand, it works reasonably well. The relative thickness of the tyre and the much, much lower pressure give plenty of purchase to the little granules in the sealant and gives the latex a little bit of time to congeal.
Does that depend on your value of "high pressure"? Tubeless (not tubs) road tyres exist and use a sealant of some sort without the problems you describe. Or is "Stan's sealant" different to the latex you describe?

Citius

Works out quite cheap when you add in the saving you get from buying tubs compared to clinchers .
What do you race on ?

Not sure I share your concept of 'saving' tbh. Schwalbe One clinchers can be had for less than £25ea at the moment and I used to buy Conti GP4K for not much more.

I used to race on Corsa CX originally, then Conti Competition, not that it really matters...

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Not sure I share your concept of 'saving' tbh. Schwalbe One clinchers can be had for less than £25ea at the moment and I used to buy Conti GP4K for not much more.

I used to race on Corsa CX originally, then Conti Competition, not that it really matters...
I was talking about the cost of the wheels .

Does that depend on your value of "high pressure"? Tubeless (not tubs) road tyres exist and use a sealant of some sort without the problems you describe. Or is "Stan's sealant" different to the latex you describe?
High as in much higher than in MTB tyres. 60 PSI is high in that scenario and latex just squirts out most of the time on tubs.
We are talking tubular tyres here, not tubeless. Tubeless road tyres are several times thicker than tubs and their tube together. That helps in giving the sealant some mechanical adhesion.
Stan's sealant is latex in an ammonia suspension with some tiny rubber granules. It is particularly susceptible to CO2 inflation.

Top Bottom