Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Ok first ride with the new handle bar position, 15mm lower, moved spacers to above the stem. No issues with hands, arms, shoulders, neck or back during the 2 and 1/2 hours I spent doing Nurofen Pass (copyright @martin22 's friend) on BRVR. Slight pressure point on the saddle. May need to try a slight fore/aft or nose down adjustment there or a new saddle in the end. E-bike here I come :blush:.

Breedon

Legendary Member
Ok first ride with the new handle bar position, 15mm lower, moved spacers to above the stem. No issues with hands, arms, shoulders, neck or back during the 2 and 1/2 hours I spent doing Nurofen Pass (copyright @martin22 's friend) on BRVR. Slight pressure point on the saddle. May need to try a slight fore/aft or nose down adjustment there or a new saddle in the end. E-bike here I come :blush:.
I would try it on the road with all the jarring of the poor road surface i think it would be different.

theboxers

I would try it on the road with all the jarring of the poor road surface i think it would be different.
IRW :eek:

I understand what you mean though. I ended up in that pre-change position due to the numbness issue in the saddle area. I was riding with the original 120mm, iirc, GT stem for quite a while before adjusting to where I am now. The numbness only became apparent when I started to do longer rides, >1hr (remember I've only been back on the bike seriously for a few years). I did not have back, hand or neck issues even then, and I'd done some IRW riding. I used to suffer from sit bone issues every now and then on longer higher cadence rides but even that has stopped being an issue.

I think my potential issue coming up is a combination of saddle and flexibility. I am going to start a series of stretching exercises to get my body to bend a little more (it's financially free) and then if I can't get rid of the numbness issue look at a new saddle.

But first the tractor tyre has to go :whistle:

Breedon

Legendary Member
IRW :eek:

I understand what you mean though. I ended up in that pre-change position due to the numbness issue in the saddle area. I was riding with the original 120mm, iirc, GT stem for quite a while before adjusting to where I am now. The numbness only became apparent when I started to do longer rides, >1hr (remember I've only been back on the bike seriously for a few years). I did not have back, hand or neck issues even then, and I'd done some IRW riding. I used to suffer from sit bone issues every now and then on longer higher cadence rides but even that has stopped being an issue.

I think my potential issue coming up is a combination of saddle and flexibility. I am going to start a series of stretching exercises to get my body to bend a little more (it's financially free) and then if I can't get rid of the numbness issue look at a new saddle.

But first the tractor tyre has to go :whistle:
Have you tried a TT saddle i have one now and it's made a big difference to the numbess in the under carriage department

theboxers

Have you tried a TT saddle i have one now and it's made a big difference to the numbess in the under carriage department
I've made no changes other than raising the bars and I think pulling the saddle forward a bit, maybe a centimeter. Now I am looking at getting back down to where the bars were, and eventually lower, it is showing up the issue that caused me to adjust my position in the first place.

I'll carry on in this position for a ride or two, as I am having no major issues, and then look at the next changes I need to make. Probably, after today's minor numbness, a slight drop of the nose of the saddle to start with. It will be little changes and then see what's what, not the 15mm that I dropped today.

theboxers

It was the ISM I believe, it was getting difficult to stay comfortable when doing a TR session and also started to get pain on my sit bones and down the side of my right leg, not any more
You get the advantage of being able to move it quite far forward and still being within the UCI rules due to the nose of the saddle bing removed.

I am fairly certain I'll end up with something similar though. Either that or my saddle will end up looking like a ski slope.

kipster

Guru
The specialized power saddle is also good, it's a short saddle, my wife prefers it to the ism she has on her other bike. Although she does like the ism.

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
You will most likely race up Alpe DHuez- iconic climb which most of us have done via some online platform. Up to turn 16 its tough, then eases slightly for the remainder. The nice part each bend is flat so there is a little period of rest. Hopefully the weather will be good and not so hot.
I’m not even going to bother denying I will be giving Huez my best shot. Probably all I’ll manage over the 3 days, spend the rest recovering.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’m not even going to bother denying I will be giving Huez my best shot. Probably all I’ll manage over the 3 days, spend the rest recovering.

I genuinely won’t be racing mate. I know that’s maybe hard to believe but seeing is believing I gues! I didn’t race up the hills in the Pyrenees either so the others can vouch for that. Maybe if I’d of dropped off the back I would of pushed harder to get back on. But I was lucky I guess in that I was always riding with at least one other person and at a pace that suited me. To put it in perspective I think d’huez is 3500ft or there abouts (?). But I’ll be looking to do around 12000 a day. Maybe if I get up the morning we’re leaving and give it another go for the road I’ll try and put a time in.

Top Bottom