Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
But I’ll be looking to do around 12000 a day.
:eek:

Long, long days. Some of the routes are pretty much next to each other, so you can merge them. Others a quite a few miles apart and take you away from your base, require longish return ride after tiring climbing:cheers:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’m basing that on the thinking I’ll look to do 4 climbs a day minimum. So only a loose guesstimate. But realistically we’ll only have 2 full days if riding so I’m going to try and do as much as possible.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am going to tentatively suggest that we will likely ride as a loose but close group because there won’t be that much between us in terms of W/kg over the length of the climb. It won’t be like our recent trip where there was quite a gulf between Lee and the slowest. So, we may be close enough to each other that for some a paced but competitive climb, particularly as we near the top, is inevitable ^_^
Today I start a 5/2 fasting regime to shift a stubborn 4-5 kilos. Monday and Thursday reduced calorie intake. Let’s see how long that lasts:laugh:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I am going to tentatively suggest that we will likely ride as a loose but close group because there won’t be that much between us in terms of W/kg over the length of the climb. It won’t be like our recent trip where there was quite a gulf between Lee and the slowest. So, we may be close enough to each other that for some a paced but competitive climb, particularly as we near the top, is inevitable ^_^
Today I start a 5/2 fasting regime to shift a stubborn 4-5 kilos. Monday and Thursday reduced calorie intake. Let’s see how long that lasts:laugh:

I would of agreed with you before the Pyrenees. But I was really surprised how quickly the difference in overall power showed. Really don’t mean this as needle but I was surprised how close I was to Lee. I was more surprised at the gap behind. It was like the difference in overall power showed with every pedal stroke. Small differences are magnified. This could all reverse itself next time of course so I’m not trying to gloat. But over an hours climbing over all power will show I guess.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I would of agreed with you before the Pyrenees. But I was really surprised how quickly the difference in overall power showed. Really don’t mean this as needle but I was surprised how close I was to Lee. I was more surprised at the gap behind. It was like the difference in overall power showed with every pedal stroke. Small differences are magnified. This could all reverse itself next time of course so I’m not trying to gloat. But over an hours climbing over all power will show I guess.

I am sure you are right about small but consistent power differences magnifying over the course of a climb. I still reckon as a small group we will be closer overall compared to Pyrennes though not necessarily riding wheel to wheel. To the extent its a marker i can see Lee and Paul are 9 and 7 min faster than me up the Alpe on zwift. That will probably be reflected in real life. I would like to ensure the gap doesnt get any bigger ^_^

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I am sure you are right about small but consistent power differences magnifying over the course of a climb. I still reckon as a small group we will be closer overall compared to Pyrennes though not necessarily riding wheel to wheel. To the extent its a marker i can see Lee and Paul are 9 and 7 min faster than me up the Alpe on zwift. That will probably be reflected in real life. I would like to ensure the gap doesnt get any bigger ^_^

Haha, no doubt! I’m sure it will be closer to be honest. One climb, in real life, up alpe d’huez! I don’t think anyone’s going to want to get dropped without a fight.

I’m genuinely looking to do a few climbs each day though. So for me I’ll not be trying to kill myself and hoping everyone else is thinking the same. Time will tell... I’ll also be coming straight from a family holiday so I might be feeling a little tender. Man the excuses just rolling of the tongue once you get going huh!

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Tommy

It's your relative youth, versus Lee's weight(lack of).

I don’t think it’s that simple Andy. I’m younger than Lee. He is lighter than me. But these two factors alone don’t really say anything. We all got dropped twice by a guy who I’d say was at least 60 in Pyrenees. Aaac is roughly the same weight as me but he’s both older and stronger. On that basis I hold very little stock in age beyond a certain point to be honest. Putting it down to age is assuming too much I think personally. Basically we are who we are today. Age is a factor. But so is lifestyle choices etc. And frankly ability. Being 20 is no help if you smoke 20 a day and can’t ride a bike for shoot!

I think you’re better off looking at the overall package, I.e w/kg, v02 max etc. But honestly I’d just brake it down like this maybe: Lee is light but not putting out big watts. But he has a fantastic engine. I also rate his climbing skills highly and his thinking on the bike. I’m a fair chunk heavier, but a fair chunk more powerful too. But not quite enough to bridge the gap.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I don’t think it’s that simple Andy. I’m younger than Lee. He is lighter than me. But these two factors alone don’t really say anything. We all got dropped twice by a guy who I’d say was at least 60 in Pyrenees. Aaac is roughly the same weight as me but he’s both older and stronger. On that basis I hold very little stock in age beyond a certain point to be honest. Putting it down to age is assuming too much I think personally. Basically we are who we are today. Age is a factor. But so is lifestyle choices etc. And frankly ability. Being 20 is no help if you smoke 20 a day and can’t ride a bike for shoot!

I think you’re better off looking at the overall package, I.e w/kg, v02 max etc. But honestly I’d just brake it down like this maybe: Lee is light but not putting out big watts. But he has a fantastic engine. I also rate his climbing skills highly and his thinking on the bike. I’m a fair chunk heavier, but a fair chunk more powerful too. But not quite enough to bridge the gap.
:biggrin::blush: Do I owe you money :laugh:
I’m a proper pedalling Aristotle :biggrin:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
. I’m a fair chunk heavier, but a fair chunk more powerful too. But not quite enough to bridge the gap.

It is all to do with W/Kg for hills. I know a guy who is 60+ very much like Lee in build. He was comfortably the fastest climber by quite margin against all except one, that is Alberto a 36 yr old 'Kona iron man' qualifier. Alberto is the owner of Tenerife Bike training, so is a natural climber and quite light, but not as light as the old chap.

Alberto rates this old chaps climbing prowess, so much so he's teamed up with him to race the Haute route https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIBhAD&usg=AOvVaw02kUzn5D1i1FcS46lPR23T

bobinski

Legendary Member

I am sure there is a back story to that guy. His wife was waiting at the top and he removed his top and handed it to her and he looked like one of those uber fit OAP's you come across occasionally.
Absolutely agree re Lee's engine. He just keeps going. Duracell bunny :smile:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

It is all to do with W/Kg for hills. I know a guy who is 60+ very much like Lee in build. He was comfortably the fastest climber by quite margin against all except one, that is Alberto a 36 yr old 'Kona iron man' qualifier. Alberto is the owner of Tenerife Bike training, so is a natural climber and quite light, but not as light as the old chap.

Alberto rates this old chaps climbing prowess, so much so he's teamed up with him to race the Haute route https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...FjAAegQIBhAD&usg=AOvVaw02kUzn5D1i1FcS46lPR23T

Well there you go! Age is a moot point really (I know some of you guys like to cling on to it so sorry about that ^_^)

To be brutal Lee is there to be beaten (sorry mate). He’s a bit of a big fish in a small pond in some regards. If he was up against people of similar or slightly heavier build, but more power then things would be different. Obviously the really naturally gifted guys have the lightweight physique and the power. That’s something you just can’t train for really. You either got it or you don’t at a certain point.

So... after you think about it all too much.... you just got to remember, it’s supposed to be fun! and don’t get too hung up on the stats or comparing yourself to others!

CXRAndy

Guru
Age has an influence for the majority when comparing roughly the same weight, power. There are always those who are at edge of performance and are superior to their average age group, AAAC is an example. Trouble is there are quite a few when you start to look, Sticky bottle, another and that chap who we were talking to at TOC who finished in just over 3hrs(he looked nearly 60), smashing all of our times into next year:ohmy:

Top Bottom