Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
^_^
2 mins earlier the birds were all over me !

Bloody seagulls get everywhere

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Having said that digging thru the data of my ride today

Holy shiv. I've got a section with a 5 minute average of 350w :huh:. This is with the Vector V3's so there should be no input from the Fazua evation motor as far as I understand how they work :blink:.

I wonder about this, as the Vectors will measure the torque you apply to the pedals, but when they convert it to power they will multiply by the rpm, which will definitely be assisted by the motor, so this could boost the power reading?

I am also thinking of one of these Cube hybrids, as they look like one of the best lightweight e road bikes, and will just give a little assistance on the steep slopes, where limiting my heart rate means dropping back from my friends. A little less exertion here and I might not find myself standing my the road waiting for my vision to return on quite such a regular basis!

I want one with the fauza motor, not just for the light weight, but so the wheels are interchangeable, I don't fancy being limited to rear wheels with the hub motor in. Great to hear you can ride fairly normally when over the 25 kmph limit!

Enjoy...

Geoff

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I wonder about this, as the Vectors will measure the torque you apply to the pedals, but when they convert it to power they will multiply by the rpm, which will definitely be assisted by the motor, so this could boost the power reading?
Looking thru the data I think there is something odd about the V3 install. On the trainers I've used, Bkool classic and Pro, Kickr 17 and 18, with the Vector V1 and V3 pedals I've always had fairly balanced L/R power delivery. Yesterdays was very biased towards my right. I will have to reinstall the V3's with a torque wrench to see if that makes any difference.

Edit to add.

I'm going to try to mount the cube on the kickr 18 and have a play on some of the shorter climbs in BRVR or Bkool. Could be interesting
:unsure:

I am also thinking of one of these Cube hybrids, as they look like one of the best lightweight e road bikes, and will just give a little assistance on the steep slopes, where limiting my heart rate means dropping back from my friends. A little less exertion here and I might not find myself standing my the road waiting for my vision to return on quite such a regular basis!

I want one with the fauza motor, not just for the light weight, but so the wheels are interchangeable, I don't fancy being limited to rear wheels with the hub motor in. Great to hear you can ride fairly normally when over the 25 kmph limit!

Enjoy...

Geoff
The Cube Agree Hybrid is a lovely bike. But it doesn't feel as light as the Bianchi Aria E-Road (hub motor) I looked at a couple of weeks ago, :wub:. But I got a deal on a 2018 Cube that I could not walk away from :blush:. The position is a little lower than I currently am fully comfortable with but I think a riser stem should sort that out.

I rode up a hill, yesterday, that I'd not be able to on the GT Grade with 36 chainring / 42 cassette. It hurt and I stopped at the top to catch my breath but I made it, :whistle: :wahhey: :stop:.

I think there will be a learning curve to find the best way to use the motor. Most of yesterday was with little or no assist. I only went full rocket on a half mile section that goes over 10%. In the 11 or so miles I used about 10% of the stored energy in the battery. Once I've dialed in my position I'll be doing longer rides :bicycle:.

Last edited:

theboxers

Have to say that I like Cube bikes in general, good to hear that the eBike is 'functional' ...
More than functional for me :thumbsup:. It's a god send :blush:.

I'm looking forward to being out on the bike for the first time in a long time :eek:. Yes it assists, but it does not take over the speed generation. From my limited ride yesterday there is a definite cut off at 15mph but it is not too hard to stay above that speed on the flat/ish sections, even at my heft. I didn't really feel the assistance in the low and mid power settings I just went faster than I would normally. The Rocket setting just seemed to remove the grade I was riding on, it was like trying to push on on a flattish section of road.

Some experimentation on the Kickr may shorten the learning curve. But I don't want to steal all the KOM's with it :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I rode up a hill, yesterday, that I'd not be able to on the GT Grade with 36 chainring / 42 cassette. It hurt and I stopped at the top to catch my breath but I made it, :whistle: :wahhey: :stop:.
Which hill was that TB? I ridden most roads in your neck of the woods

theboxers

Which hill was that TB? I ridden most roads in your neck of the woods
Coombe Road from Lloyd Park Entrance to Royal Russell School. I did not use assistance until Coombe Gardens and even then didn't go full Rocket until the first turn past Le Chateau. Not a long or steep hill in comparison to some around here, but it beat me a while back on the GT. No excuses now :blush:.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Coombe Road from Lloyd Park Entrance to Royal Russell School. I did not use assistance until Coombe Gardens and even then didn't go full Rocket until the first turn past Le Chateau. Not a long or steep hill in comparison to some around here, but it beat me a while back on the GT. No excuses now :blush:.
I know that road, although only been up there a few times. It's a good ride for a Sunday morning spin :okay:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
@kipster @berty bassett @bobinski @Add @TurboTommy - loving the updates from the alps and the photos etc on Strava. Looks amazing!!

I’ll contunue to invite you along in the hope that one day you can join us bud! I know how busy you are with all your commitments but I’ll keep on asking because I know you’d love it!

I didn’t take nearly enough photos this trip. I also took a gopro that never made it onto the bike... bobinski and kipster took some fantastic pictures so hopefully they put a few up here.

It was quite a thing climbing alpe d’huez. It’s hard to compare it to other climbs I’ve done because it holds such a unique position in my head. I still can’t believe I’ve done it to be honest. Very surreal!

Not sure how good a trip report I can muster...I’m very aware pride goes before a fool... But I have to say it makes me proud this year to finish TOC alongside Bridgy and alpe d’huez alongside Berty. Two guys who know how to push me beyond my own capacity!

Alp d’huez what can you say. First time up I don’t really take as much of it in as I have on the Bkool sim. Can’t beleive I’m climbing it to be honest. It is an incredible bit of road. I see lots of Berty’s back wheel, lots of paint on the tarmac, lots of sweat on my tarmac too! I didn’t mean to go so hard so soon. Berty goes past Kip and I instinctively follow. As we head to the first hairpin Berty says something to me, without having to look back he knows I’m there. It’s goong to be another one of those climbs...
We generally talk a fair bit as we climb Berty and me. Some small talk, sometimes some deeper stuff. We laugh at the suffering and push each other on. Try to avoid going into the dark place for as long as possible. I tell him we’re going +300w or he tells me his heart rate is gettting a bit high, neither bit of info seem to encourage us to slow down much! I wasn’t sure how much power I can push or for how long with a month off the bike, but I just want to make the most of the opportunity. He’s stronger climber than me and I don’t want to slow him down, so I just want to hang in as long as possible.

Col de serene was a very different climb. The general consensus is it’s actually tougher than alpe d’huez. It’s hard for me to say for sure as we did it after a few hours in the saddle and on the second day of climbing. But one thing’s for sure it is very very tough! It was a fantastic day really. Spent most of it in the company of bob, Adam and Berty which was lots of fun. Road some beautiful passes and the scenery was varied and very picturesque. D’huez is geared towards the ski season. Lots of commercial enterprise and somewhat generic architecture. But Tuesdays ride took in more typical French villages and had a bit more persaontliy in my opinion. Serene itself was very varied in scenery, from overhanging trees and hairpins, to very steep climbs and a much more baron summit. Again the climbing was relentless. The pace got quite quick quite fast after we’d left the cafe behind. My own legs aren’t great from the first day so I wanted to push a cadence and power that was best for me. When I push on Berty joins the party and so it goes again... Side by side most the way up this time, comparing pain and other fun topics! The road’s so quiet compared to d’huez, and the views are rediculous. We look down at one point to see Bob toiling below. Fighting his way up a steep section in the road. It makes me admire him to see him fighting the beast on his own. It can put you in a very private world of suffering very easily if you’re not careful, or you can embrace you’re own thoughts and enjoy the solitude. And Bob is doing just that by the looks of it. The legs keep ticking over as he pushes through the heat and the big gradient.

I don’t know why I push so hard sometimes to be honest. I can’t help it is the truth... I don’t want it to sound like a macho or ego thing because if it is that, it at least doesn’t feel that way to me. I don’t think I have any allusions about my own limitations. I think it’s in part the fear of regret. Regret of not pushing as hard as possible. Maybe that sounds just as tragic as macho or ego! I don’t know... but that is the way I’m wired.
But again we hit the summit after a climb that doesn’t feel like it’s ever going to end and again Berty helped push me to my limit, and today at least, he is at his limit too.
That day it’s the same for us all. We might not of finished at the same time but we all did that climb and I think from looking at all the guys later that day they’ve all put in all they can 100%. Everyone has gone to the absolute limit and should be very proud of the effort. It’s a personal thing that, and again I really don’t think it’s about being macho, it’s just feeling like the job is done as good as it can. Taking in a beautiful climb while pushing as hard as you can. The sense of achievement isn’t from comparing yourself to others but discovering what you can find inside when you need it.

Col de ornon (sp?) was also a very nice climb. All licking our wounds from the day before, it was ideal in that although it’s 12km it didn’t seem too angry! It was also really nice riding it with Bob and Berty side by side. The tarmac was fresh as can be, and the winding road took us through a small valley past overhanging rock faces and into what turned out to be the best weather of the day. After stopping for ice cream it’s back down that beautiful tarmac to the again hit the start of alpe d’huez. Can’t really say too much about this attempt other than to say I suffered somewhat and Berty was a class effort so he can say his thoughts on his ride as it was very impressive to me. For me I struggled with my thoughts as I was going up the hill, so best I keep my emotions and thoughts of that time private and hope you all understand!

Sorry I wasn’t planning to do a report to be honest, and reading it back I’m not sure how it comes off! Hopefully it’s not too boring of a read... I could talk more about chalet life but I’m not sure you want to hear about Adam’s flatulance or Kip’s friend Andy’s nocturnal quirks. I had a fantastic time. Good food, unbelievable luck with the weather, and a little relief I didn’t suffer more for my lack of riding if lste. It was a pilgrimage to alpe d’duez was what it was, and to share it with Bob, Kip, Lee and Adam was more than I could of hoped for.

CXRAndy

Guru
Good report Tommy:okay:

My time at the alpe was very enjoyable, but like you I don't think I could of done myself justice going back after a long break, cheers for the invite. Personally the effort of the climbs and the heat of high summer is too much for me.
I would definitely want to go back and to succeed in doing the Cingles and the Marmotte. I would choose May or early September when its a little cooler.

Im leaving September open;)

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I’ll contunue to invite you along in the hope that one day you can join us bud! I know how busy you are with all your commitments but I’ll keep on asking because I know you’d love it!

I didn’t take nearly enough photos this trip. I also took a gopro that never made it onto the bike... bobinski and kipster took some fantastic pictures so hopefully they put a few up here.

It was quite a thing climbing alpe d’huez. It’s hard to compare it to other climbs I’ve done because it holds such a unique position in my head. I still can’t believe I’ve done it to be honest. Very surreal!

Not sure how good a trip report I can muster...I’m very aware pride goes before a fool... But I have to say it makes me proud this year to finish TOC alongside Bridgy and alpe d’huez alongside Berty. Two guys who know how to push me beyond my own capacity!

Alp d’huez what can you say. First time up I don’t really take as much of it in as I have on the Bkool sim. Can’t beleive I’m climbing it to be honest. It is an incredible bit of road. I see lots of Berty’s back wheel, lots of paint on the tarmac, lots of sweat on my tarmac too! I didn’t mean to go so hard so soon. Berty goes past Kip and I instinctively follow. As we head to the first hairpin Berty says something to me, without having to look back he knows I’m there. It’s goong to be another one of those climbs...
We generally talk a fair bit as we climb Berty and me. Some small talk, sometimes some deeper stuff. We laugh at the suffering and push each other on. Try to avoid going into the dark place for as long as possible. I tell him we’re going +300w or he tells me his heart rate is gettting a bit high, neither bit of info seem to encourage us to slow down much! I wasn’t sure how much power I can push or for how long with a month off the bike, but I just want to make the most of the opportunity. He’s stronger climber than me and I don’t want to slow him down, so I just want to hang in as long as possible.

Col de serene was a very different climb. The general consensus is it’s actually tougher than alpe d’huez. It’s hard for me to say for sure as we did it after a few hours in the saddle and on the second day of climbing. But one thing’s for sure it is very very tough! It was a fantastic day really. Spent most of it in the company of bob, Adam and Berty which was lots of fun. Road some beautiful passes and the scenery was varied and very picturesque. D’huez is geared towards the ski season. Lots of commercial enterprise and somewhat generic architecture. But Tuesdays ride took in more typical French villages and had a bit more persaontliy in my opinion. Serene itself was very varied in scenery, from overhanging trees and hairpins, to very steep climbs and a much more baron summit. Again the climbing was relentless. The pace got quite quick quite fast after we’d left the cafe behind. My own legs aren’t great from the first day so I wanted to push a cadence and power that was best for me. When I push on Berty joins the party and so it goes again... Side by side most the way up this time, comparing pain and other fun topics! The road’s so quiet compared to d’huez, and the views are rediculous. We look down at one point to see Bob toiling below. Fighting his way up a steep section in the road. It makes me admire him to see him fighting the beast on his own. It can put you in a very private world of suffering very easily if you’re not careful, or you can embrace you’re own thoughts and enjoy the solitude. And Bob is doing just that by the looks of it. The legs keep ticking over as he pushes through the heat and the big gradient.

I don’t know why I push so hard sometimes to be honest. I can’t help it is the truth... I don’t want it to sound like a macho or ego thing because if it is that, it at least doesn’t feel that way to me. I don’t think I have any allusions about my own limitations. I think it’s in part the fear of regret. Regret of not pushing as hard as possible. Maybe that sounds just as tragic as macho or ego! I don’t know... but that is the way I’m wired.
But again we hit the summit after a climb that doesn’t feel like it’s ever going to end and again Berty helped push me to my limit, and today at least, he is at his limit too.
That day it’s the same for us all. We might not of finished at the same time but we all did that climb and I think from looking at all the guys later that day they’ve all put in all they can 100%. Everyone has gone to the absolute limit and should be very proud of the effort. It’s a personal thing that, and again I really don’t think it’s about being macho, it’s just feeling like the job is done as good as it can. Taking in a beautiful climb while pushing as hard as you can. The sense of achievement isn’t from comparing yourself to others but discovering what you can find inside when you need it.

Col de ornon (sp?) was also a very nice climb. All licking our wounds from the day before, it was ideal in that although it’s 12km it didn’t seem too angry! It was also really nice riding it with Bob and Berty side by side. The tarmac was fresh as can be, and the winding road took us through a small valley past overhanging rock faces and into what turned out to be the best weather of the day. After stopping for ice cream it’s back down that beautiful tarmac to the again hit the start of alpe d’huez. Can’t really say too much about this attempt other than to say I suffered somewhat and Berty was a class effort so he can say his thoughts on his ride as it was very impressive to me. For me I struggled with my thoughts as I was going up the hill, so best I keep my emotions and thoughts of that time private and hope you all understand!

Sorry I wasn’t planning to do a report to be honest, and reading it back I’m not sure how it comes off! Hopefully it’s not too boring of a read... I could talk more about chalet life but I’m not sure you want to hear about Adam’s flatulance or Kip’s friend Andy’s nocturnal quirks. I had a fantastic time. Good food, unbelievable luck with the weather, and a little relief I didn’t suffer more for my lack of riding if lste. It was a pilgrimage to alpe d’duez was what it was, and to share it with Bob, Kip, Lee and Adam was more than I could of hoped for.
Ditto ^_^

Top Bottom