Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
I can't add much more to what the guys have already said. I wish I hadn't of had a bit of a cold, my prep for the trip had gone well. The planned route for day 1 had to be changed as there had been a landslide a day or two before we arrived. The decision was made to just go back up Alpe d'huez, I definitely wasn't warmed up enough and forgot to strip the arm warmers off before we started going up. A not so hasty stop at the first corner to get organised saw Adam and Bob disappear into the distance, from them it was a lonely climb which gave me time to take it all in. I joined up with some french riders for a while but the dropped them as I made a dash for the finish. The cold I had, while not bad, meant my average HR for the climb was 177, it was slower than I was hoping for but happy I got there. Day two and my mate Andrew was suffering from the day before so we did a similar route to the other 4 without the balcony bit, we all climbed Sarenne which was a stunning climb. I had to keep stopping to wait for Andrew who was really struggling. I gave up all thoughts of times etc.. Day three and my cold was starting to come out so I decided to not ride and instead went for an 8 mile and 1800 ft elevation walk, it was great but it didn't half kill the legs!

It was great to be there with the guys, I just wish I couldn't spent more bike time with them. I felt that I had to stay with the guy I bought along, which in some ways spoilt the trip a bit for me. I really thought he was stronger than he turned out to be.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Nooooooo. No amount of power assist will shift my lard up most of the hills where I live when I'm stuck on the 11-13 cog on the back. The left gear shifter (ultegra r8000) on the Cube has jammed solid :eek:. I've tried reseating the shifter cable as it looked stuck and that worked for 2 or 3 shifts then jammed again and now no reseating will get the shifter to click up or down :banghead:.

Oh well back to the GT on the kickr :cry:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Nooooooo. No amount of power assist will shift my lard up most of the hills where I live when I'm stuck on the 11-13 cog on the back. The left gear shifter (ultegra r8000) on the Cube has jammed solid :eek:. I've tried reseating the shifter cable as it looked stuck and that worked for 2 or 3 shifts then jammed again and now no reseating will get the shifter to click up or down :banghead:.

Oh well back to the GT on the kickr :cry:

Not like.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I can't add much more to what the guys have already said. I wish I hadn't of had a bit of a cold, my prep for the trip had gone well. The planned route for day 1 had to be changed as there had been a landslide a day or two before we arrived. The decision was made to just go back up Alpe d'huez, I definitely wasn't warmed up enough and forgot to strip the arm warmers off before we started going up. A not so hasty stop at the first corner to get organised saw Adam and Bob disappear into the distance, from them it was a lonely climb which gave me time to take it all in. I joined up with some french riders for a while but the dropped them as I made a dash for the finish. The cold I had, while not bad, meant my average HR for the climb was 177, it was slower than I was hoping for but happy I got there. Day two and my mate Andrew was suffering from the day before so we did a similar route to the other 4 without the balcony bit, we all climbed Sarenne which was a stunning climb. I had to keep stopping to wait for Andrew who was really struggling. I gave up all thoughts of times etc.. Day three and my cold was starting to come out so I decided to not ride and instead went for an 8 mile and 1800 ft elevation walk, it was great but it didn't half kill the legs!

It was great to be there with the guys, I just wish I couldn't spent more bike time with them. I felt that I had to stay with the guy I bought along, which in some ways spoilt the trip a bit for me. I really thought he was stronger than he turned out to be.

Paul, it was above and beyond the call of duty. :hugs:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I was surprised you didn't stay in or around Bourg D' Osians. Bit of a bugger to climb up the mountain at the end of each day:wacko:

:reading:

Oh, hang on-I shouldn’t be the one to post this ;)

Live and learn. Ski resorts are pretty much deserted until the snow arrives.

:whistle:

It gets very busy through the summer too with cyclists and walkers. It’s this time of year that everything shuts down completely. We were lucky that one of the only restaurants still open was also very nice.

Honestly no regrets about staying on alpe d’huez either beleive or not! I wouldn’t do it again, and I wouldn’t of done it unless it was d’huez. But it was quite cool sitting out on the balcony knowing where we were.

CXRAndy

Guru
To be fair Tommy, even when I stay in more lively places, I tend not to have too much extra energy to party or stay up late

Last edited:
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

It was great to be there with the guys, I just wish I could’ve spent more bike time with them. I felt that I had to stay with the guy I bought along, which in some ways spoilt the trip a bit for me. I really thought he was stronger than he turned out to be.

If there was anything I could of changed it would of been spending more time on the road with you Kip. It was very gallant what you did but I’d have mixed feelings too I think.

Hopefully we can get other things organised we talked about like a welsh trip or another trip abroad.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

To be fair Tommy, even when I start in more lively places, I tend not to have too much extra energy to party or stay up late

Yeah true Andy, ecspecially when you’ve got x amount of days ahead too! But you are right that I think generally I would prefer to stay in a traditional French village or town. It worked this time but I think that was a one off :smile:

Norry1

Legendary Member
This thread completely passed me by - so I've just caught up!

Sounds like you had a blast. I did wonder how it would work, staying at the top of Alpe D'Huez - on my last trip I had a 700m altitude gain at the end of every ride and that was hard enough.

Did you descend the Col de Sarenne?

I am unlikely to be able to make your summer jaunt next year as I've signed up to do a Tour of the Dolomites with Marmot Tours - with the guys I've been to France with for the last few years, and your date is about the only weekend I can't make. However, hopefully I can make a Spring trip if one gets arranged.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
https://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/activities/biking/cycling/national-cycle-routes

Adam - if you have a chance - would you browse this and see what your opinion is
it uses sustrans routes ( the word i was trying to say when you looked at me as though i had had a stroke !)
if you ever need to use a route planning site - cycle.travel is brilliant - keeps you on quiet roads - but be warned - if the route has green bits - it means walking

bobinski

Legendary Member
This thread completely passed me by - so I've just caught up!

Sounds like you had a blast. I did wonder how it would work, staying at the top of Alpe D'Huez - on my last trip I had a 700m altitude gain at the end of every ride and that was hard enough.

Did you descend the Col de Sarenne?

I am unlikely to be able to make your summer jaunt next year as I've signed up to do a Tour of the Dolomites with Marmot Tours - with the guys I've been to France with for the last few years, and your date is about the only weekend I can't make. However, hopefully I can make a Spring trip if one gets arranged.

Norry, I have organised a trip to Girona in Late March. I will put details up soon. Close to the best climbs, and a hotel geared up to cyclists and triathletes and offering excellent food. I reckon it will be a great way to kick start the season.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I must stop spending my redundancy :ohmy:
1538831269637986863051313933476.jpg

Top Bottom