Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterob

Veteran
View attachment 469745

Photo courtesy of @berty bassett. Who’s grin I recognise from numerous mountain climbs as he is beginning to stalk his prey!

I’ve thought about Sunday’s ride a few times over the last few days (I did warn you I have a tendency to overthink things...). Where it went wrong for me / us, who cramped / overcooked it. It’s too late at night to bore you all with a long post now.... But long story short I think we were doomed after the slow rolling start. As I said on the day to a couple of you guys. I think if we do this again next year we should defo sign up to one of the races.
Good pic! Not had a chance yet to look on the site at all the photos but will do so over the weekend.

Also not had a chance to look at my stats and see where it went wrong for me! The uneven pace at the start probably didn't help, but my HR during that time seemed very high for the relatively low power. Decided to take it easy for a while and utilise the food stops but still got bad cramps (never experienced anything like it :ohmy:) when we hit the wind and had to soft pedal as much as I could for 30 miles. I did feel good though after the final stop (although legs seemed on the edge of cramping) and rode strongly to the end. Legs still felt good the next morning, so I'm not really sure why I struggled Sunday.

I'm glad I did feel strong at the end or I'd be less inclined to give it another go next year! ^_^

peterob

Veteran
Looking back I did really enjoy it though. It was great seeing so many people on the roadside in the villages cheering us on and high-fiving the kids ^_^

Shame I didn't get to ride round more with CCers. Although I was in a group with @bert1971 for a fair while without realising who it was! :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Tommy and the rest of you get in and take advantage of the early bird discount. Once committed we can get on with sorting a new CC kit- 11 months should be enough, right? :biggrin:
Before anyone books, is it worth creating a 'team/group' and is there any financial benefit of doing this (do we get a group discount?).

If you all opt for the GF then I'll do the same ... but maybe not on the SS next year :biggrin:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Looking back I did really enjoy it though. It was great seeing so many people on the roadside in the villages cheering us on and high-fiving the kids ^_^

Shame I didn't get to ride round more with CCers. Although I was in a group with @bert1971 for a fair while without realising who it was! :laugh:
When did we lose you Pete? It's a bit "head down and follow the wheels in front" isn't it, so pretty hard to keep an eye on where people are behind you, but we were obviously together for a fair amount of time at the start - in fact I spent quite a while following you as we picked our way through the slower riders!

bridgy

Legendary Member
@berty bassett if you want a copy of this pic, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. Tommy, I've sent you a copy

P.S. need to tuck those elbows in Tommy :okay:

TOC photo cropped.jpg

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Good pic! Not had a chance yet to look on the site at all the photos but will do so over the weekend.

Also not had a chance to look at my stats and see where it went wrong for me! The uneven pace at the start probably didn't help, but my HR during that time seemed very high for the relatively low power. Decided to take it easy for a while and utilise the food stops but still got bad cramps (never experienced anything like it :ohmy:) when we hit the wind and had to soft pedal as much as I could for 30 miles. I did feel good though after the final stop (although legs seemed on the edge of cramping) and rode strongly to the end. Legs still felt good the next morning, so I'm not really sure why I struggled Sunday.

I'm glad I did feel strong at the end or I'd be less inclined to give it another go next year! ^_^
i don't think I could have worked hard enough ... I felt Ok all the way :scratch:I'm not saying I didn't feel tired, or legs weren't burning when hitting those windy sections, but I never went into the red and never felt in trouble. Obviously I was much slower than you chaps but with a geared bike I could have (I think) gone an extra 1mph faster with not much extra effort.

I think my target next year has to be 20mph (moving time) - may still need to stop though to top up water and take on a bit of food so total ave time might need to be 19 mph.

Lots of work to do this year. Would love to be able to ride some of the course with you guys, so I need to really get my fitness up further :training:

bridgy

Legendary Member
i don't think I could have worked hard enough ... I felt Ok all the way :scratch:I'm not saying I didn't feel tired, or legs weren't burning when hitting those windy sections, but I never went into the red and never felt in trouble. Obviously I was much slower than you chaps but with a geared bike I could have (I think) gone an extra 1mph faster with not much extra effort.

I think my target next year has to be 20mph (moving time) - may still need to stop though to top up water and take on a bit of food so total ave time might need to be 19 mph.

Lots of work to do this year. Would love to be able to ride some of the course with you guys, so I need to really get my fitness up further :training:
You've abviously been working hard on your fitness (and weight loss!) and you did lots of longer rides on zwift beforehand which would have conditioned your legs for the long ride well. But I think there can be several (sometimes mysterious!) factors which affect how you feel on a ride and how your legs cope - Tommy had no problems last year, whilst I did, and Lee did as well, and yet I don't think Lee, Tommy or myself had any issues with cramps on the much longer and hillier DD ride a few weeks ago. I also did a 100 miler a week before with a friend and had no sign of leg cramps, and although I managed to avoid them on Sunday, I was pretty close to cramping up!

peterob

Veteran
When did we lose you Pete? It's a bit "head down and follow the wheels in front" isn't it, so pretty hard to keep an eye on where people are behind you, but we were obviously together for a fair amount of time at the start - in fact I spent quite a while following you as we picked our way through the slower riders!
It was around 25-30 miles. There were a couple of short inclines in succession and I lost you guys when we had to pick our way through slower riders. I found myself behind you as things thinned out but didn't have it when I tried to bridge up.

I'm interested in seeing my stats from the Garmin. I expect to see high HR at the start, low power in the middle, and a pretty strong end.

bridgy

Legendary Member
View attachment 469745

Photo courtesy of @berty bassett. Who’s grin I recognise from numerous mountain climbs as he is beginning to stalk his prey!

I’ve thought about Sunday’s ride a few times over the last few days (I did warn you I have a tendency to overthink things...). Where it went wrong for me / us, who cramped / overcooked it. It’s too late at night to bore you all with a long post now.... But long story short I think we were doomed after the slow rolling start. As I said on the day to a couple of you guys. I think if we do this again next year we should defo sign up to one of the races.
Completely agree. I also think we (or at least I) went too hard on some of the early hills - I blame Lee as I was trying to keep up with him! In hindsight I should have held a bit back on those inclines and used the flatter sections to catch back up with the group - which wasn't too hard to do really (at least in the first half of the ride!). As I've said before I had my Zwift racing head on and was thinking if I lost touch that would be curtains, but its not quite like that in the real world.

CXRAndy

Guru
Was watching Naked n afraid last night. The contestants were in a hot v hot environment.

Their HRs were significantly higher than normal due to dehydration. The blood thickens making the heart work faster to compensate. I remember my HR was much higher for the effort. Id put it down to lack of fitness, but it could of been I was also dehydrated. I was struggling with eating and drinking at the last food stop

Top Bottom