Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I predicted that and have been waiting for you to weigh in :laugh:

I don't like too much black In a top. I quite like Paul's other tops but am drawn also to kipsters. I also will go with majority but intend to have a play with the site at the weekend.
Well I prefer black to blue but will also go with the majority - except for the very colourful one which I only included to show you my son's unhelpful handiwork - PLEASE don't vote for that one ( this is where these popular votes go wrong isn't it?!)

Feel free to have a play on that site yourself Bob here's a couple of blue ones for you:

Screenshot_20170927-222140.jpg
Screenshot_20170927-220842.jpg
Screenshot_20170927-221544.jpg

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Off topic but this is for Tommy. Keep your credit card in ya pocket:okay:

http://road.cc/content/review/229824-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl6

Niiiiice :tongue:

(I'd wait for the disc brake version though!)

On Tuesday I was stood in the Specialized Concept store looking at the Ultralight version of this. Very very nice, but perhaps a little too aggressive a riding position for me.

I normally ride a 54 (Trek Domane) with rather relaxed geometry, and I did wonder if I might fit a Tarmac 56 as the stack height would be around the same, but was worried that the saddle would be too low. However, when I checked the geometry I found the seat tube length of the 56 was exactly the same as my 54 Domane, so perhaps...

Just have the longer reach to deal with then, and a shorter stem could solve that. :hyper:

Not sure about the disc version, it does give up a lot of the weight benefits (seems to be around 600g in Dura Ace) and I rarely descend steep gradients in dodgy conditions.

Geoff

bobinski

Legendary Member
On Tuesday I was stood in the Specialized Concept store looking at the Ultralight version of this. Very very nice, but perhaps a little too aggressive a riding position for me.

I normally ride a 54 (Trek Domane) with rather relaxed geometry, and I did wonder if I might fit a Tarmac 56 as the stack height would be around the same, but was worried that the saddle would be too low. However, when I checked the geometry I found the seat tube length of the 56 was exactly the same as my 54 Domane, so perhaps...

Just have the longer reach to deal with then, and a shorter stem could solve that. :hyper:

Not sure about the disc version, it does give up a lot of the weight benefits (seems to be around 600g in Dura Ace) and I rarely descend steep gradients in dodgy conditions.

Geoff

Interesting article in CW about differences between new ultegra disc di and DA and even less than before

bridgy

Legendary Member
I like

vr.cc

in lower case with the dot, so it looks very "Internet"! :thumbsup:
I agree lower case. Like the road.cc logo http://road.cc/

bridgy

Legendary Member

Geoff
I know it's a personal preference thing, and you don't "need" disc brakes as we've managed pretty well for years without them on road bikes.

BUT I would say that for me, getting them has been a revelation - and not just for steep descents in the wet. The bike just feels so much better under braking, and gives me much more confidence braking in any situation (and no my rim brakes on my old bike weren't rubbish!). When I changed bikes I did consider the fact that they added a bit of cost and weight, but I don't regret choosing a bike with discs at all as I feel a lot safer on the bike which is definitely worth a few grams (and ££!). I've concluded that I prefer better braking to potentially being slightly faster uphill. And although carbon rims have got better for braking in recent times, they can still be less than ideal, so disc brakes allow you to choose whatever carbon rims you like without compromising braking.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It's definitely personal preference. Carbon clinchers can overheat and warp in extreme conditions so that's another factor as well as wet weather riding. Although like Bridgy says they have got better. That thought alone would scare the bejeezers out of me if I was descending in the alps etc.

Personally I run tubulars which don't have this issue. I just don't like the look of discs or the added weight which again, makes me a bit of a tart I know....:rolleyes:. My calipers are 160g for the pair. No disc system is anywhere near that I don't think. The new tarmac runs direct mount brakes too which look cool as f#ck.

bobinski

Legendary Member
It's definitely personal preference. Carbon clinchers can overheat and warp in extreme conditions so that's another factor as well as wet weather riding. Although like Bridgy says they have got better. That thought alone would scare the bejeezers out of me if I was descending in the alps etc.

Personally I run tubulars which don't have this issue. I just don't like the look of discs or the added weight which again, makes me a bit of a tart I know....:rolleyes:. My calipers are 160g for the pair. No disc system is anywhere near that I don't think. The new tarmac runs direct mount brakes too which look cool as f#ck.

Yeah, but didn't your calipers cost more than my bike?:tongue:

I was pretty much sold on discs after a trip to Morzine 3 years ago and a terrifying descent down col de Joux plane in rain on Ultegra rim brakes. Dry and warm on way up then bucketed down. Tubs are no doubt a decent compromise but, especially after watching all the pros slip and slide and fall, whatever the weather, on descents in this years 3 grand tours, I am convinced that discs and tubeless are the way forward. I remember clearly my descent down Ventoux and feeling more in control, finger touch to scrub speed into a turn, 2 fingers to suddenly kill speed as i overcooked a turn. They are awesome for me-not one of lifes great descender s.
The tart in me actually likes the look ^_^

bridgy

Legendary Member
We can definitely add writing to the jersey so imagine them with - vr.cc - across the chest and maybe on the back (I can get my wife who's a graphic designer to do the logo properly and in an appropriate typeface etc. or if any of you guys are designers, you could do that!)

vrcc7 front.jpg
vrcc6 front.jpg
vrcc5 front.jpg

bobinski

Legendary Member
We can definitely add writing to the jersey so imagine them with - vr.cc - across the chest and maybe on the back (I can get my wife who's a graphic designer to do the logo properly and in an appropriate typeface etc. or if any of you guys are designers, you could do that!)

View attachment 375844 View attachment 375845 View attachment 375846

like the first of those 3-wonder if one sleeve could have orange and white reversed -i like asymmetric designs and also a bit Rapha like for TT ;)

Top Bottom