Turkey eggs on Christmas Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had a couple of free range chicken eggs for my tea last night Ok,the yolks were nice and yellow like they're supposed to be and not pale watery yolks like battery hen's eggs are,but they tasted salty and peppery to me. Still,i'll only be buying free range from now on as the cruelty towards battery hens is on a par with slaughter house cruelty..

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The colour of the yolks is determined by what they are fed, nothing to do with their living conditions.
Battery hens are fed on cheap food while free range hens are "well fed",according to some. Cheap food affects the quality of the yolk,so i've been told.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
From my experience,the cheaper the egg the paler the yolk. I've yet to have a free range egg with a pale yellow coloured yolk. Are you saying that it's additives and not natural food that make free range yolks such a rich deep yellow in colour?
1ecc63ebbfe6dc5d7daca39fd5733f6f.jpg

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
I think this one is interesting not daft. Why are duck and goose eggs consumed as luxury items and other farmed poultry eggs such as turkey not common - i have never seen them for sale.
Is it because of the taste? Is it uneconomic? Or has no one thought to market them?
I feel the need to search them out and try one.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think this one is interesting not daft. Why are duck and goose eggs consumed as luxury items and other farmed poultry eggs such as turkey not common - i have never seen them for sale.
Is it because of the taste? Is it uneconomic? Or has no one thought to market them?
I feel the need to search them out and try one.
Hen Heaven

Top Bottom