Two wheel drive road bike - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
On the way home today, noticed a cyclist riding what I at first took to be a hand cranked bike, but when I met him at some lights, he was riding a 'regular road bike, but with a full cassette & chain setup drive to the front wheel. It was powered by a crank / handlebar setup and looked pretty nifty. Apparently it is probably unique over here as the rider bought it from the maker in California.
The hand cranks are not alternated as with pedals and he says it really builds up upper body strength.
If anyone is interested in checking out this rather novel adaptation, go on Facebook 'Arms Bike Regional Sales Norwich' to find out more. ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
How do you steer it?

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
As the front wheel drive bit is only attached to the front wheel with the chainring on the r/h side of the stem, the front wheel incidentally having a full cassette & derailleur, is actually a rear wheel, the steering is exactly as normal. It needs getting used to and the drive can be locked out for one wheel drive, with the bars set in a racing style position. Gear change is by an indexed lever set on the stem. Hand positions though look very limited, so I wouldn't like to do too many miles on it.

Top Bottom