UK employment falls to 32 million

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My post about obvious ways people might alter such statistics without actually changing the underlying population's behaviour was deleted for being political. :sad: I am a former FE/HE maths/statistics teacher, not a politician!
Devon!

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
None of which report anything incorrect. The number employed has fallen. The number unemployed (and claiming benefit) has also fallen. Which means that more people are neither in work nor claiming benefit.

You are quite right, i've been a numptie.

Reactions: srw

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Employment has risen, unemployment declined. The headline was wrong no?
No. Employment + unemployment = potential employees, not a constant number, not the population or even the potential workforce. I can't explain more else it may get deleted because each of those numbers is defined by political decisions. Look them up on wikipedia, perhaps.

Tin Pot

Guru
According to what you posted it was never there.

(And people out of work is mostly pensioners, children, carers and people undertaking unpaid home-maker work, so this:

...is monstrously unfair.

I don't see why children shouldn't have to work. They're locked away in a factory 9-4 all day everyday, all year bar summer so why not let them apprentice their parents instead?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
No. Employment + unemployment = potential employees, not a constant number, not the population or even the potential workforce. I can't explain more else it may get deleted because each of those numbers is defined by political decisions. Look them up on wikipedia, perhaps.
OK OK. Thanks anyways.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not political - but Unemployment falls by 4% and those Employed falls by 0.043% and the BBC chooses the latter for the headline.
The latest version of the headline is "unemployment falls" - which is political, because one has to suspect that Universal Credit is having the apparently unintended (but entirely predictable) consequence that people aren't claiming. I prefer the original version of the headline (modulo caveats around statistical credibility) because it's an unusual feature of the data:
_98761463_employment-nc.png

Whats the big deal with having a job anyway? I dont get why having a god dam job is so important. If people are unable to obtain employment.....well thats what the dole is for.
I believe that if people are on the dole long term, they should be encouraged to go to college or something in return. Get some skills if people are required to be productive. Its ironic that you cant do any college or uni while claiming dole, even tho it would be the best time to do so thus exacerbating the issue. Thats our government for you.

Top Bottom