UK to drive on the right-hand-side of the road petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I think we should do this gradually, so people have time to get used to it.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
It did occur to me in the pandemic that this was a project whose time had come. Next to no traffic on the roads, many hundreds of thousands of physically distanced workers, otherwise furloughed, keeping the economy going by making the necessary infrastructure changes. And as things got back to normal a road transport system that matched the rest of Europe — except Ireland who could probably have been persuaded to make it a joint project. Of course, the UK two-party system could never agree on a long-term contingency planning opportunity such as this. It would have to be a cross-party Pandemic Opportunities Project. What hope of that when the UK cannot even get consensus on everyday non-contentious issues such as health and housing? Another example of the UK's ability to make any subject contentious and make proper contingency planning a can forever kicked down the road and never picked up.

Gwylan

Veteran
Just let people choose. We can have different coloured cars to define whether we have chosen left or right
There will be a newist of left and right colours published on April 1st every year.

If your existing car is the wrong colour there will a government scheme that allows you to have it repainted.
If you and fellow users of your car cannot agree then you can paint the left hand side one colour and the right hand side another.

Easy, people insist on making things too complicated

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm all for it. When I come and drive in the UK I don't have to re map my brain. :smile:
Seriously it involves pedestrians as well because when crossing the road they'll be looking the wrong way.
Countries that still drive on the left includes Japan, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and India, plus about 20 more.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Countries that still drive on the left includes Japan, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and India, plus about 20 more.

I noticed on trips to the British Virgin Islands (rotten job, but someone had to do it) that, as a British Overseas Territory, they of course drive on the left.

But, given its location in the Caribbean, 90% of cars on the road are American-built and therefore left-hand-drive.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sweden managed the change some years ago.

Although in 1967 there were barely a million vehicles on the road in their entire country. That's part of the reason they made the decision to do so in 1963 while it was still manageable, and even then it took four years before they were in a position to implement the change.

There are now 40.8 million vehicles on the UK's roads, and we all know how diligently every last driver observes UK road laws.

Top Bottom