UK to drive on the right-hand-side of the road petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In the early part of the last century Italians drove on the right except in larger towns or cities where the rule was sometimes to drive on the left. In Spain it varied by region and town.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
In the early part of the last century Italians drove on the right except in larger towns or cities where the rule was sometimes to drive on the left. In spain it varied by region and town.
IME, Italians nowadays drive in the middle of the road, especially when going round blind bends. It usually takes me a couple of days to acclimatise ...

presta

Guru
Similar threads:

1694803032840.png

albion

Guru
Indeed, if I put a secure container to store my belongings on the road, taking up same space as a car, I’d probably get a load of abuse. But do the same with a car, no problem.

It might happen yet. The Brexit economy implosion means councils have to explore any means of income.
At the moment, a road parking tax is overlooked.

Talking about adaptation my Toyota Vitz (a JDM version of a Yaris) came from Japan as RHD obviously so it had to be converted.
This was quite a simple task as the instruments were in the middle and only the pedals and steering wheel had to be moved.
So many need not not buy a new car.

View attachment 706593

Australia has a law that any imported left hand drive vehicles must be converted to right hand drive within a defined timeframe (12 months IIRC). There was a company that imported a number of Ford Mustangs a car that, was only ever sold in LHD form in the USA at that time, and didn’t lend itself to easily be converted to RHD. The resulting consequences on the routing of the steering column apparently made it horrible to drive.

If your existing car is the wrong colour there will a government scheme that allows you to have it repainted.
If you and fellow users of your car cannot agree then you can paint the left hand side one colour and the right hand side another.
And drive down the middle of the road, thus avoiding the accidents which are happening on the right and the left, where the stupid people are colliding with each other because half of them are driving on the wrong side of the road.

Top Bottom