Ultegra cassette upgrade ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dreamer21

hi I currently have a 11-32 cassette and I've have noticed these guys with much smaller rear cassettes and they take off at the ligths. What cassette can I put on my ultegra di2 group set to pick up speed as quick as these guys.

Do I have to adjust the stop screws.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You will be able to select a gear the same or almost the same as the guys you see setting off at the lights and picking up speed quickly. Work on your fitness before contemplating changing your cassette.

OP
OP
D

Dreamer21

My average has gone up n working on fitness but I was thinking about it upgrading it as the cassette looks so small and they only take a few pedals and there flying off. I mean I gear down to half way then gear back up but still they are flying

S-Express

I mean I gear down to half way then gear back up

See, they probably aren't doing that, because it isn't necessary. Ever watched the start of a team sprint on the telly? Just get used to pulling away in a bigger gear.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Changing to a smaller cassette will not make any difference except to your wallet. Just cycle more to develop stronger muscles.

Joffey

Big Dosser
This thread has got to be a wind up? :eek:

Anyway, if this isn't a wind up the only way to 'upgrade' your cassette is to buy a Dura Ace one. They are a snip at a shade over £115.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-dura-ace-9000-11-speed-cassette-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360505995&kpid=5360505995&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sCvofmgqz_dc|pcrid|67090789142|pkw||pmt||prd|5360505995uk

It won't make you pull away from the lights any quicker though...

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Anyway, if this isn't a wind up the only way to 'upgrade' your cassette is to buy a Dura Ace one.
A cassette from the same or lower groupset but with a different range of sprockets should still be considered an 'upgrade' if it is more appropriate to the type of riding and helps to achieve a desired outcome. Which in this case it probably isn't and won't.

si_c

Guru
I'd suggest not worrying about the cassette, practice getting up to speed as fast as you can from stopped.

The only reason to change from an 11-32 wide range cassette is if you find yourself never using the larger sprockets when climbing hills or you find the difference between the gears as you change too much.

As has been said above, other riders are simply better at selecting the right gear for them to get up to speed from a standstill.

Personally i find using the big 50t at the front and a 19t or 21t at the back and spinning the pedals like a lunatic works for me. You need to play with different gears and see what works for you.

If you can pedal at a high cadence (>120rpm) you may find that helps too, as I find it easier to build speed in a low gear and change up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My average has gone up n working on fitness but I was thinking about it upgrading it as the cassette looks so small and they only take a few pedals and there flying off.

Couple of points:

1. To pull away from the lights quickly in a high gear (small sprocket) requires huge amounts of torque. Better to select a lower gear (larger sprocket) and learn to spin up to speed before shifting up. Exactly the same principle as using 1st gear to pull away from the lights in a car.

2. You mentioned in another thread that you weigh 98kg. These other guys could weigh 20-30kg less than you, so will require much less effort to get up to speed from a standing start.

But if you're commuting 20 miles a day each way, you'll soon get stronger and fitter.

Top Bottom