Ultegra cassette upgrade ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

1. To pull away from the lights quickly in a high gear (small sprocket) requires huge amounts of torque. Better to select a lower gear (larger sprocket) and learn to spin up to speed before shifting up. Exactly the same principle as using 1st gear to pull away from the lights in a car.

Not sure about 'huge' amounts of torque. Trial & error should be able to find the optimum gear which gives the right amount of acceleration for the right amount of pedal force. Either way, your quote above is precisely why he is losing ground to other riders. It's not necessary to use the bike's gears like a car gearbox.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not sure about 'huge' amounts of torque.

Relatively speaking. Depends on your definition of huge. And exactly what gear you're trying to use to pull away from the lights.

It's not necessary to use the bike's gears like a car gearbox.

Of course it's not necessary to use the lowest gear to pull away, but the same general principle applies - lower gears for standing starts, higher gears for cruising etc. I suppose that in the long run, using a higher gear to pull away from the lights will help build leg strength. I did eventually get pretty good at standing starts back when I was commuting on fixed regularly.

I do wonder why it's so important for the OP to pull away from the lights quickly though. But if that's what he wants to do, maybe he should take up track racing.

I agree that his cassette is not what's preventing him keeping up with the other riders.

bladesman73

Über Member
hi I currently have a 11-32 cassette and I've have noticed these guys with much smaller rear cassettes and they take off at the ligths. What cassette can I put on my ultegra di2 group set to pick up speed as quick as these guys.

Do I have to adjust the stop screws.
ok you are Jamma in disguise and I claim my £5

ozboz

Guru
hi I currently have a 11-32 cassette and I've have noticed these guys with much smaller rear cassettes and they take off at the ligths. What cassette can I put on my ultegra di2 group set to pick up speed as quick as these guys.

Does the cassette have 10 or 11 cogs ?

Lozz360

Veteran

While I agree with all the replies you've had saying "...take off at the lights" has more to do with the fitness and technique of the other guys, I'm curious as to what do you mean by "smaller rear cassettes"? Do you mean smaller diameter cogs and therefore higher gears (which I think is what everyone one has assumed) or do you mean fewer cogs than yourself?

OP
OP
D

Dreamer21

While I agree with all the replies you've had saying "...take off at the lights" has more to do with the fitness and technique of the other guys, I'm curious as to what do you mean by "smaller rear cassettes"? Do you mean smaller diameter cogs and therefore higher gears (which I think is what everyone one has assumed) or do you mean fewer cogs than yourself?
I mean smaller rear cassette.

ozboz

Guru
If it's Ultegra Di2 it will be 11-speed. Why do you ask?

I have an 11-25 10 speed ultegra, I want to go the opposite way hopefully to an11 -34 , but it seems I would need a longer cage on the back derail'r to do this , and probably mean getting a 105 set up on the back , (which I am happy with , )
105 according to what I have read are more durable , and if I went to an ultegra 11 speed then new shifters may also come into the equation , a 105 cassette and deral'r + longer chain would come in cheaper , as I am a recreational rider it seems the way to go ,
So I was curious what OP had on his , all questions answered !
Ta

Top Bottom