Uncomfortable Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mdk1

Hi all.

Longtime no speak, been away from cycling for about 5 yrs due to illness, but back in the saddle for the last couple of months.
I have gained a few stone over the intervening years.

My trouble is now that I vant get comfy in/on my saddle, seem to have a very painful position where I seem to be sitting right at the back of my saddle and right on my coexist and after a few miles it becomes painful and lasts a few days and then I'm back out on my bike again and repeat.

I had a look to see if I can move the saddle back but there is no adjustment.

Is there anything I can do? I have padded shorts, which help a little. Is it a case that you get used to it?

Over to you.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you have a saddle with two rails underneath with a clamp you can adjust back and forwards. The clamp holds it but the bolt is often underneath hidden from view unless you look under the saddle at the top of the seat post.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Also some saddles never suit so it's worth trying a few. There are different widths, lengths and shapes.

Having had my 'sit bones' measured I ride a very narrow 128mm saddle (I'm officially a tight a...) and standard 140-150mm saddles are very uncomfortable.

Gunk

Guru
Also some saddles never suit so it's worth trying a few. There are different widths, lengths and shapes.

Having had my 'sit bones' measured I ride a very narrow 128mm saddle (I'm officially a tight a...) and standard 140-150mm saddles are very uncomfortable.

I also find a narrower saddle is far more comfortable

DSK

Out of curiosity, is this a new bike/saddle or an existing one you are returning to?

Another vote for fiddling with fore/aft but also the tilt first.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Your saddle is entirely in the wrong place and you're having to hinge at the hip which is placing more pressure on soft bits.

It likely shouldn't be slammed back.. Tilting it is not going to alleviate anything

Hi all.

Longtime no speak, been away from cycling for about 5 yrs due to illness, but back in the saddle for the last couple of months.
I have gained a few stone over the intervening years.

My trouble is now that I vant get comfy in/on my saddle, seem to have a very painful position where I seem to be sitting right at the back of my saddle and right on my coexist and after a few miles it becomes painful and lasts a few days and then I'm back out on my bike again and repeat.

I had a look to see if I can move the saddle back but there is no adjustment.

Is there anything I can do? I have padded shorts, which help a little. Is it a case that you get used to it?

Over to you.
To clarify, what's the "coexist"? - not aware that I have one - some sort of euphemism?

One thing's for sure, you shouldn't be experiencing pain for days after a ride - the worst you should feel is a bit of momentary bum ache on long rides if the saddle/short padding isn't the optimum mix/combination, and that's usually cured by a short period out of the saddle, at worst a short rest. The pressure should be on your sit bones.

May return later once I learn about the mysterious coexist.

One thing for now - despite what some folk say on here - I'd avoid tilting the saddle unless in desperation mid ride. Saddles should essentially be flat is my understanding. Tilting saddles cam cause other issues.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
To clarify, what's the "coexist"? - not aware that I have one - some sort of euphemism?
Possibly means coccyx.

I have a similar problem which flares up now and again. Mine is caused by my upper hamstrings getting tight - which them makes groin tight so instead of micro moving slightly with each pedal stroke across the saddle - it all just gets tighter and tighter - hamstring curls (lots of) - massage ball, and for me cross frictional massage and physio sticking needles in my hamstring sorts it out.

lower the saddle - also try chamois cream

Oh good, magical cream for what is pretty clearly a position issue
Just trying to help a fellow poster by suggesting things that have helped me.

Even it is a position issue - there may a period where the ops backside is inflamed - which is why I suggested chamois creme.

OP
OP
mdk1

mdk1

Sorry ment Coccyx,

Have had a look at my saddle and there is no sliding available, bike is over 20yrs old as is the same bike I was riding before without too much trouble.
Would a bent seat post help to move it back?

Top Bottom