Under unit Kitchen lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
We have a number of T4 fluorescent tubes (7x 500 and 1x 370mm holder size) for under unit lighting in our kitchen, linked together 'daisy-chain' style with, I think, just the 1 mains power supply.

Frankly, they are rubbish :angry:; the tubes give up after about 3 months, get replaced, then soon the holders won't even fire up the lights at all, so the kitchen has been getting darker and darker as the lights won't work ... :sad: They are not exposed to excessive heat nor any steam.

I'm totally scunnered** with them and have decided they need to be replaced ... but with what ? :scratch:

I would really like a version where I can use the existing brackets and just replace the holders with new-light compatible ones. The light output from the T4s has been fine ... when they worked.

So what is best to daisy-chain around the kitchen, gives very similar light to the T4s, at best price/ running costs ? LEDs, T5s ?

Advice welcome.
Thanks

** for those unfamiliar ...

subaqua

What’s the point
LED strip . But get decent supports as the steam can make self adhesive pads fail.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
LED strip . But get decent supports as the steam can make self adhesive pads fail.
Any specific LED strip? My current research indicates that the LED strips are quite low in lumens but I could be misunderstanding ...

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I fitted LED strip to ours, you can get rolls of it at B&Q which is self adhesive and can be cut down to whatever length you like. Never had any issues with it coming adrift despite being directly above the kettle.

subaqua

What’s the point

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
We've got some LED strips from IKEA that link up like you've described - they're more additional / background lighting though to be honest.

^^^ This is very true

bruce1530

Guru
I fitted LED strip to ours, you can get rolls of it at B&Q .

£42 for a 5m length, inc PSU. Or buy the same stuff from Amazon at £11 for the tape, and well under £10 for the PSU.

add a few clips to hold it in place - the self adhesive tape has a habit of peeling.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Yes, we have some friends who have those. He's 'artistic' (sculptor), so just about gets away with it ... ;)
I fitted LED strip to ours, you can get rolls of it at B&Q which is self adhesive and can be cut down to whatever length you like. Never had any issues with it coming adrift despite being directly above the kettle.
Can it be cut into separate lengths or must it be used as a single length ? I need to have some 'breaks' in it to by-pass the oven on one side and the hob on the other.

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Haven't been to IKEA yet but it's looking like it could be a pricey re-lighting. The problem is that we need enough light to use the worktops as worktops without using overhead or other lighting.

My sums - using info from the Screwfix/ IKEA catalogue - give some interesting figures:
Current T4 fluorescent tubes: Total lumens: 7320; Wattage: 122w; Cost to replace: £ 111
T5 LED tubes plus fittings: Total lumens: 7220; Wattage: 83w; Cost to install: £ 117

IKEA LED
strips equivalent:: Total lumens: 3085; Wattage: 78w; Cost to install: £ 235

Is there a flaw in my sums - or do I have to bite the bullet and pay up ? :sad:

Top Bottom