Under unit Kitchen lighting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tealights sellotaped upside down under the cabinets :okay:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
there are T4s on that site. but gives you idea of cost.
Quite competitive costs for T5s. :okay: Not sure if the longer lengths are all 300mm linked together. :scratch:
Have you used this company before ? Do the tubes need drivers and, if so, are they included ?

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Update:
I've ordered these to try. They come with a driver, so we can have a look at them and decide.
If they don't work in the kitchen, they'll do for the stairs, conservatory or somewhere else.

Thanks for all your help, CC ! :bravo:

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
They are BRIGHT ! :becool:

They'll do very nicely for under the units with a few more drivers. :thumbsup:

Mrs Scoosh rather fancies having something similar for stair lighting, in the dining room, conservatory... all over the place. :ohmy: These ones are probably a bit too bright for some places but the seeds have been sown. :unsure:

Thanks especially to @bruce1530 and @Colin_P. :cheers:

LocalLad

Inspired by this thread I've gone for a strip of this and two of these to put lights under my kitchen units...I currently have daft tube lights - the bulbs went ages ago, and the light wasn't that good anyway.

Wish me luck hooking them up!

OP
OP
Scoosh

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Trying to fit today but still trying to work out how to solder the small wires onto the tiny connectors. I suspect my soldering iron is wa-a-y too big and ugly ... :sad:

I did purchase some wooden batten stuff to glue-gun the light strip to and then screw the ends of the batten to the underside of the unit, with some glue-gun glue in the middle as a back-up.

@LocalLad - glad you have been inspired and hope it works for you too ! ^_^

Colin_P

Guru
Trying to fit today but still trying to work out how to solder the small wires onto the tiny connectors. I suspect my soldering iron is wa-a-y too big and ugly ... :sad:

I did purchase some wooden batten stuff to glue-gun the light strip to and then screw the ends of the batten to the underside of the unit, with some glue-gun glue in the middle as a back-up.

The soldering can be tricky especially for those of us who don't do it that often but it can be done, but if I managed it....

The wooden batten though is massive timesaver and makes the whole job a lot easier.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I think you'd be better with a tinkyliddle soldering iron on the tiny wires too, more control.

LocalLad

I think my power thingy has screw in connectors, so I might be safe (though I do have a soldering iron somewhere!)...I am concerned about my lack of baton though.

Let's see if I can be bothered to try this evening...

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You can buy connectors like these. Much easier than soldering onto the LED strips. It's what I used when I installed LED lighting in my room a couple of years ago. Skirting board moulding fixed to the wall upside down (so the flat edge is uppermost) about 40 cm from the ceiling with No More Nails. On the flat edge, I've stuck aluminium tape to help the LEDs dissipate heat - it might help them last longer. The LED Strips (I bought 10m of 5050, I think) stick to the top of this, with the ceiling above painted white to bounce the light around the room. I have a 12v, 8.5A driver hidden behind the curtains connected to the ceiling rose - a bit untidy, but perfectly safe. Since then, 1 LED has failed, but the rest are fine. If I did it again, I'd chamfer the edge of the skirting board to hide the wires better.

Top Bottom