Unreliable weather forecasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I believe the BBC used the Met Office for their data until about a year ago .idk who they use now but since moving away from The Met, I I'm turn have started using the met office more frequently.

DRM

Guru
Persisting down in York this morning, coming down in torrents at 11:20 ish

Slick

Guru
What I can't understand is how come the beeb forecast can vary so wildly yet the country file forecast is usually pretty spot on for the week. :wacko:

tom73

Guru
One of oldest mate’s is physicist and work’s for the met office down in Exeter on the rain radar. A few year’s ago within a day or two of starting he phoned saying he’d coursed a bit of a flap at work. Why I asked , he found out the radar covering the Channel Islands was mile’s out and had in fact been cover the sea. It had been like that for year’s so how reliable are they well I can’t possible comment ;)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I cancelled a trip to Donington today as the weather forecast was for heavy rain for most of the day - having watched a Youtube stream of 4 wheeled submarine racing this morning it looks like they got it spot on. It's just a pity that up to Saturday morning the forecast was for the rain to clear through overnight Saturday into Sunday so I'd already got food and a tank of diesel in ready...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Agree with Pale rider. The forecast between the various sites can be starkly different with the actual weather being nowhere near as bad as forecast. I think there is the Michael Fish effect of 1987.

But also, weather prediction for the British Isles is immensely complicated as we sit at the crossroads of four major weather patterns and a slight change in wind direction means it throws the forecast out.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'm waiting on the wind coming from the right quarter. Maybe then we'll get a decent fall of snow.
According to Mrs Dave my wind always comes from the wrong quarter :blush:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When i had my window cleaning round the weather was a major worry. I had to plan my week around it. If it was going got be wet and windy i'd lose money. I'd decide to not bother going out if the forecast was for bad weather,then some days they'd get it completely wrong and it'd be fine,but too late to go out working.:dry: Then there was the cycling which could see me go out on a supposedly nice day,only for it to pee down and i'd get soaked!:banghead: Nowadays my only weather concern is will my palm tree get watered enough or not?:scratch:

postman

Legendary Member
44774002_10155854395412688_1840364830314201088_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg
This is me this week walking the Saltburn part of the Cleveland Way.You will notice i am wearing one glove.That is because of the weather report.Which stated it will be sunny but on the other hand there will be a cold bracing wind.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
All week the forecast for today has been cold but dry and breezy
Even this morning yr.no and the Met Office were saying the same.

So you can imagine my surprise when after sorting the bike and getting ready, I opened the door to find it sleeting.

Checked the forecast again and it's now changed to say sleet showers until noon - so with stuff already planned for this afternoon, that looks like no ride today...

Top Bottom