Unreliable weather forecasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Dodgy weather forecasts are annoying me recently.

A group ride to York on Saturday was cancelled due to forecast rain and high winds.

My regular Sunday morning group ride came close to being cancelled due to forecast torrential rain.

The weather in York may have been poor, but I've just come back from the group ride which was dry for the first couple of hours, then drizzly - intermittent windscreen wiper weather for drivers.

As late as last night, the forecast was heavy rain most of the day.

Today is not the first time the Sunday forecast as published on Saturday evening is significantly worse than the weather actually turned out to be.

My suspicion is forecasters are still smarting from their underplaying of what turned out to be the Great Storm in the 1980s, so they err on the side of caution by forecasting worse than what the science tells them.

I tend to use the BBC, but the forecasts are usually similar on all the sites, not least because I suspect a lot of the outlets use the same information.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's been non stop rain in Manchester - very wet.

D

Deleted member 26715

It started raining at 6am in Worksop & has not stopped since, when I was working in the new University unit in York it clocked 55 miles each way, so maybe 35 miles as the crow/raven/swan flies, how accurate do you want them to be?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I couldn't agree more.

Cancelled any plans for a ride yesterday and committed to other things due to forecasts of the apocalypse - 45mph+ winds and monsoon like rain.
As it turned out it was windy, although nothing like 45mph maybe half that at worst, and the rain was little more than drizzly for a couple of hours which then cleared up.

It's not the first time and while most of the forecasters were saying similar things this time, the BBC seem particularly fixated with giving the worst possible interpretation of the facts.

Julia9054

Guru
Today i am in Elland. It is relentlessly siling it down

Drago

Legendary Member
I've noticed that the BBC now use Meteogroup, and it seems to be a better forecast than the Met Office. When you do SAR lives can depend on such trivialities.

gavgav

Guru
They’ve had it spot on here, incessant rain for 72 hours and it’s stull bucketing down. The river will be in the town next week I fear.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to do the Season of Mists audax event but called it off after being told for days that it will be peeing it down for hours today. And guess what...? It has been peeing it down for hours today! :laugh:

I did a ride with someone on the forum once and the forecast was for light drizzle to start mid-afternoon, which it did. An hour later we were up on top of a big hill above Rochdale and he commented that there was supposed to be torrential rain, but where was it? I pointed down the hill towards a very sodden Bury - "There!" The forecast was spot on for timing, just a few kms out.

Look at the satellite/radar images. If you see a huge swathe of rain clouds blowing in towards you and likely to cover the entire area, then you are almost certain to get it. If the clouds are broken up, or you may be towards the edge of the storm then you might get away with it.

It was very obvious looking at what was coming that we were going to get it today. Out York way was towards the fringes of the clouds so it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been so bad there.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Where I am the BBC forecast said for yesterday just cloud all day, so went out about 8am and twenty minutes later the heavens opened and I got absolutely soaked.
Of course just as I returned home and was putting the bike away the clouds parted, the sun came out and it turned into a nice sunny (but breezy) afternoon.
The only upside to the morning was although I was wet at least I was warm!

Top Bottom