I'm of the "poke it, smell it, look at it" brigade. If it hasn't developed language skills, it's usually fine. I buy a lot of food on yellow sticker, but if I know I'm not going to use it within a day or two, then into the freezer it goes. Or it's cooked, which then gives it a bit more leeway - like the bag of stir fry mix I bought this evening. With careful storage, dried goods (rice, pasta, pulses, flour, sugar, tea) keep for ages, and I've always got a good store of such. Canned stuff keeps well too, though dented stuff bought on YS gets priority in the usage rota.
Tired veg gets turned into soups, curries, pasta bakes and pakoras. If I've too much fruit, then crumbles, compotes (to have with my lunchtime yoghurt), and jams. Or jelly-based desserts - lovely in this hot weather.
I hate throwing away food, and cook accordingly by what wants using up. Which sometimes requires a bit of inventiveness. I'm also careful and don't have too many things open at once, especially now that it's just me and the cat.
My food caddy bin only has one small bag in there a week - about half the standard bag we got supplied with to line the little caddy in the kitchen. It's mainly tea bags and fruit & veg peelings, plus the odd scraping of cat food. I used to compost until we had a mega issue with rats a few years back, but I don't want to encourage them.