Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Because when on my road bike, like many others, ebikers whizzing pass without comment on a steep hill do annoy
Why?

Sure I have posted a similar comment on another thread but I got an ebike so I could commute and go shopping which means going up and down a couple of hills at least without being one sweaty person. Some weeks it gets a lot of use and other weeks very little while the other pure pedal power bikes get used on longer rides. On the rare occasion I have used an ebike on a longer ride I always apologize to anyone on a road bike I overtake. As for young people riding them I suspect one of the attractions is the speed, rapid to 15.5 miles assuming the bike is legal and then pure pedal power at added higher speed. Whilst the weight can deter fast speed downhill is another thing.
No need to apologise, I like having a steady 15.5mph to chase. Non legal ebike users maybe they should apologise :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Because when on my road bike, like many others, ebikers whizzing pass without comment on a steep hill do annoy
The electric assistance cuts out at 15.5mph, leaving them pedalling an even heavier and less efficient bike. There must be some pretty unfit roadies up your end if they can't keep ahead of them - I'm far from the ideal build for a bike race, and long past my prime, but manage to do so. Hell, I even toy with them a bit for a laugh.

dodgy

I would go as far as to say the majority of ebikers I see are on bikes that have been 'meddled' with. So the 15.5mph thing doesn't always happen.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would go as far as to say the majority of ebikers I see are on bikes that have been 'meddled' with. So the 15.5mph thing doesn't always happen.

A lot of the ones I see have not only been doctored to make them illegally fast, but the riders don't even need to make any pretence of pedalling the things! They are simply unregistered, uninsured electric motorbikes.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'd go to work by Segway if they weren't so damn expensive! :laugh:
Friend of mine just spent several thousand on an Orbea ebike. He said i could have a go. Unfortunately, i only saw the pictures and the lockdown happened. Can't wait to take him up on it.

I have a friend with one (Orbea Gain Ultegra M20i) and it is a fantastic piece of kit - he's 74 and uses it here in The Lakes and some hilly region of Spain where he holidays a few months of the year. I think he's as fit as the proverbial Butchers Dog (he averages 16-17mph on hard local routes) but it has been a game changer as far as he is concerned - especially keeping up with much younger riders.

It's the template for my next bike for sure.

Mike_P

Guru
The electric assistance cuts out at 15.5mph, leaving them pedalling an even heavier and less efficient bike. There must be some pretty unfit roadies up your end if they can't keep ahead of them - I'm far from the ideal build for a bike race, and long past my prime, but manage to do so. Hell, I even toy with them a bit for a laugh.
I was talking about going uphill.

D

Deleted member 26715

A lot of the ones I see have not only been doctored to make them illegally fast, but the riders don't even need to make any pretence of pedalling the things! They are simply unregistered, uninsured electric motorbikes.
I'd love to know where all these mythical beasts are

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just watch the comings and goings on any London road that has a fair number of cycle commuters using it. You won't have to wait long before some overweight lump of a rider complete with a hefty backpack on sails past on some sort of e-hybrid or e-MTB whilst doing absolutely nothing apart from steering the thing.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd love to know where all these mythical beasts are
I agree (in my local experience)
In the last few years I have seen 2 petrol powered mtbs and 1 ebike hideously modified, going so fast the brakes couldnt stop them in an emergency.
But that's it.
Edited to add, no doubt there are hotspots but apparently not round here.

Top Bottom