Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just watch the comings and goings on any London road that has a fair number of cycle commuters using it. You won't have to wait long before some overweight lump of a rider complete with a hefty backpack on sails past on some sort of e-hybrid or e-MTB whilst doing absolutely nothing apart from steering the thing.

It really sounds like you have a problem with that. If that "Overweight lump of a rider" as you put it, was not on an electric bike. They would probably be in a car. That would give you something else to moan about. So they just cant win as far as you are concerned.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have never seen a modified one that I know of, I do see a good few electric bikes as I live right beside a twenty mile tarmac off road cycle track.

D

Deleted member 26715

I agree (in my local experience)
Edited to add, no doubt there are hotspots but apparently not round here.
I'm not aware of seeing any, that is nto to say they are not around.
It really sounds like you have a problem with that. If that "Overweight lump of a rider" as you put it, was not on an electric bike. They would probably be in a car. That would give you something else to moan about. So they just cant win as far as you are concerned.
Seems more like the poster has Fatism issues along with dislike of eBike which bruise his ego by daring to overtake them
I have never seen a modified one that I know of, I do see a good few electric bikes as I live right beside a twenty mile tarmac off road cycle track.
Same here not aware of seeing a modified one.

D

Deleted member 26715

Think I was passed by one the other day, struggle to work out how it could have been going that fast under pedal power.
I'm not saying they are not out there, but as far as I know I've never seen one, but then when I'm out on my ebike I get scalped by riders on road bikes, I just think they are cheating, being so fit & riding lightweight bikes, they really should be banned.

Smudge

Veteran
Plenty of non road legal ebikes around, i've seen many of them. Dinner plate sized rear hub motors, bikes moving at speed on the flat without the rider pedalling and obvious looking heavy ebikes doing speeds on the flat that i can easily ascertain are well over 20mph.
Probably because i'm into ebikes that i notice them straight away. Also on all the other forums i use, whenever the topic of ebikes come up, there is always talk about getting ones that are faster than legal, how to mod them or buying non road legal ekits.
Non road legal ebikes are widely used because there is little chance of being caught and nicked for using one on the road or cycle paths.

Julia9054

Guru
http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/solex/solexintro/5000.jpg
I‘d have a VéloSoleX if I was any good at messing about with engines. I just think they are so cool!

Smudge

Veteran
Many people see non road legal powerful ebikes, as a way of getting a moped or small cc motorcycle with none of the hassle or costs associated with those ICE bikes. Most know they are illegal to be used on the road, but its viewed as just a little bit cheeky and they are only getting around what they see as ridiculous laws on ebikes. Many are misinformed that they can use them on tracks, cycle paths and canal paths, as they are stupid enough to think this is classed as 'off road'

rivers

How far can I go?
I've seen a couple of de-restricted e-bikes in the Bristol area, usually ridden by a bloke who doesn't have the bike handling skills to control it should something unexpected crop up. Plenty of people riding around on road legal e-bikes though.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s the same with e-scooters, owners don’t know it’s currently illegal to use on roads or pavements. The retailers claim to make it clear so either they aren’t telling the truth or it’s wilful ignorance or don’t give a fook among owners.
The law needs to be enforced somehow.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

don’t give a fook among owners.
The law needs to be enforced somehow.
That is the truth, there is no enforcement of it, must admit in Sheffield I have only seen 1, but I was only going in 2 days a week, but apart from being only a few hundreds yards from the central station I never see officers walking around, except on horseback.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not saying they are not out there, but as far as I know I've never seen one, but then when I'm out on my ebike I get scalped by riders on road bikes, I just think they are cheating, being so fit & riding lightweight bikes, they really should be banned.
Don't see many ebikes at all up my end, but I've seen a naughty one recently. I was doing 26 and he came past me like I was stationary, without even pedalling. It was a heavy looking rigid MTB with what was probably one of these Chinese gazillion watt kits on it.

I know the head bobby of our local Save The Roads Team (Safer roads, but I'm an inveterate pith taker), and he tells me they'v sent a few off to court for licence and insurance offences over the last year of so.

Reactions: DSK
D

Deleted member 26715

I know the head bobby of our local Save The Roads Team (Safer roads, but I'm an inveterate pith taker), and he tells me they'v sent a few off to court for licence and insurance offences over the last year of so.
Hopefully they also crushed the offending item, that is the only way to stop them, once people realise that their cash is going straight in the skip they'll stop building/riding them, it worked with mini moto's it will work with illegal ebikes.

Top Bottom