Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't worry, the manufacturers will build obsolescence in so when those bikes and scooters wear out or the batteries die, getting spares will overcome most people's energy and resources and the things will end up rusting in garden sheds.
You mean just as most ordinary bikes do at present? :evil:

D

Deleted member 26715

You mean just as most ordinary bikes manufacturers do at present? :evil:

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I struggle to have an opinion on this! I’m 100kg so am regularly overtaken by all kinds of cyclists, especially when going uphill, even more so if I’m on my fixed (when I’m usually at about 7-8mph). Haven’t seen any obviously illegal e-bikes here in SW London but I do notice when pensioners sail past me on their bikes (as an elderly lady did the other day on Kingston Hill). But surely that’s the point? Regardless of age, I choose to struggle, they choose not to. Fine by me.

As it happens a friend of mine in her early 60s who lives in Bath (ie steep hills in every direction) has asked me for advice on getting an e-bike - I plan to point her at a LBS cos I don’t know enough to help. My wife has also expressed an interest in getting one so she can come out with me occasionally - prob is there’s no room in the shed unless I get rid of one of my other bikes!!!

DSK

I do admire those who have the skills to tinker creating bikes that go like this! It would probably even get Jeremy Clarkson onto a bicycle!

(skip to 11:00 for the action bit)

I wish I could build something like that just for a laugh as 15.5mph is a bit limp wristed.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It really sounds like you have a problem with that. If that "Overweight lump of a rider" as you put it, was not on an electric bike. They would probably be in a car.

If the big overweight lumps using the illegal e-bikes were riding real bikes that had to be pedalled, and not pure electrically propelled vehicles, they might not be such big lumps.
If I was to eat and drink like I do, and not do much physical activity, I'd end up being their size as well.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've informed my kids, in no uncertain terms, that if i ever catch either of them riding an e-bike, before their 65th birthday, then i will disinherit them.

Of course i never will -

- they'll be miles ahead of me .... :rolleyes:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If the big overweight lumps using the illegal e-bikes were riding real bikes that had to be pedalled, and not pure electrically propelled vehicles, they might not be such big lumps.
If I was to eat and drink like I do, and not do much physical activity, I'd end up being their size as well.
Have you ridden an electric bike?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

No I haven't but what's that got to do with it? The doctored bikes are not legally bikes, and their riders aren't getting exercise from riding them. They might as well drive a car. it would likely be safer for everyone else, and they would soon get detected for no insurance.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, it was alright. A bit weird at first but you quickly adapt. Problem for me was the electric assistance cuts out at a lower speed than I usually ride at anyway, so I was lugging round unnecessary weight. I returned it to my friend the next day, and his first ride out it promptly broke.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've informed my kids, in no uncertain terms, that if i ever catch either of them riding an e-bike, before their 65th birthday, then i will disinherit them.
I can't see me seeing my kids 65th birthday

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jannie and I had one each for 2 years. They were really good fun. I was still riding 200km a week on my road bike and so a leisurely pedal out on an e bike made a pleasant change. We gave them to a mate and his wife a couple of years ago. They still use them regularly.

rivers

How far can I go?
I struggle to have an opinion on this! I’m 100kg so am regularly overtaken by all kinds of cyclists, especially when going uphill, even more so if I’m on my fixed (when I’m usually at about 7-8mph). Haven’t seen any obviously illegal e-bikes here in SW London but I do notice when pensioners sail past me on their bikes (as an elderly lady did the other day on Kingston Hill). But surely that’s the point? Regardless of age, I choose to struggle, they choose not to. Fine by me.

As it happens a friend of mine in her early 60s who lives in Bath (ie steep hills in every direction) has asked me for advice on getting an e-bike - I plan to point her at a LBS cos I don’t know enough to help. My wife has also expressed an interest in getting one so she can come out with me occasionally - prob is there’s no room in the shed unless I get rid of one of my other bikes!!!

Point her towards 73 degrees in Keynsham. Jim is a top bloke and will make sure she gets a bike that a) suits her needs and b) is the right size. All bikes come with a basic bike fit as well.

Top Bottom