Use of electric bikes by younger people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not enough police to enforce car laws, how the hell do you think they are going to have time to enforce scooter/ebike laws. even when you automate car tax and mots, people still drive around without them as they still know there is little chance of being caught..........

D

Deleted member 26715

Not enough police to enforce car laws, how the hell do you think they are going to have time to enforce scooter/ebike laws. even when you automate car tax and mots, people still drive around without them as they still know there is little chance of being caught..........
Think that is more the story

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I'm out and about in the lanes of Kent, Surrey and Sussex ebikes are a pretty rare sight. Unless those roadies who continually overtake me are all on ebikes with hidden batteries, that is (that's a thought). When I do see them they tend to be ridden by older gents in anoraks.

Where I work(ed) in central London, Soho, they are relatively common - probably for delivery/messenger - and sometimes are ridden without pedalling which I think is a sign of illegality (maybe not, I dunno). Not that anyone can hit 15mph in the back streets of Soho as it's so crowded. (or was)

Thinking of that - has the messenger bike rider community been hit by a huge e-bike schism?

D

Deleted member 26715

Should make it that all ebikes are work off a torque sensor, if you are not pedalling the motor does not kick in to assist.
All new ones are, well manufactured ones as they leave the factory

Smudge

Veteran
Should make it that all ebikes are work off a torque sensor, if you are not pedalling the motor does not kick in to assist.

Ebikes can have torque sensor, cadence sensor, or both. The throttles, which ebikes aren't allowed now, apart from walk along ones, tend to be fitted with ekits.

DSK

Don't see many ebikes at all up my end, but I've seen a naughty one recently. I was doing 26 and he came past me like I was stationary, without even pedalling. It was a heavy looking rigid MTB with what was probably one of these Chinese gazillion watt kits on it.

I know the head bobby of our local Save The Roads Team (Safer roads, but I'm an inveterate pith taker), and he tells me they'v sent a few off to court for licence and insurance offences over the last year of so.

I think if one wants to build a cheeky mega-bike that can do some serious speed (not your typical e-bike off the peg), then the key is self restraint when using it.

If you are going to ride like a spaz, expect to be caught. If you want to be sensible and just stay at the limit, without breaking into a sweat, that's another matter.

There is a local chap, who I now see daily, and its the same chap I saw about 2 months ago on the road. He rides a standing E-scooter thing with some crazy battery in it. On a 30mph road he left us for dust, 1.5 miles later, we were on a 40 mph dual carriageway, he was still out of sight. About another mile later, It took me a 1.5 mile 50mph zone stretch which I did a little briskly to catch him up, at the end of which, I caught him up. My real gripe is, he wears no protective kit (self selection) but, he rides without any care on single/dual carriage ways, either preventing traffic going past (staying in the middle of 2 lanes) or, weaving through traffic flowing nicely at the permitted limits. (Again self selection). I can see him getting pulled by the fuzz but, what can they do other than take the scooter off him. However, there is a good chance he may get taken out by a driver than genuinely does not see him to be tearing it along in silence suddenly end up at their vehicle.

However, if the same chap uses his nifty bit of kit, to cruise along, no faster than the permitted limits, uses hand signals and general road sense that a cyclist uses, and just not do the spaztic stuff he does, I'm sure he'd get away with it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've certainly seen illegal E-scooters getting pulled by the police, so yes, it does happen. I got my e-bike for commuting, when I was doing care-at-home work. They're ideal for a ten mile round trip where you've got no shower and you have to look presentable.

I doubt there's much chance of the police catching Ebikes on the 12 mile Busway in Cambridge as I suspect they are cycling pretty casually when they emerge on to the road.
Lol, I forget my exact speed but I can remember going a steady 19mph along it with some one drafting me for a few miles. We were then passed by an ebike and it was like we were standing still. He stopped drafting me and chased after its draft. He never quite got it and lasted about 30seconds before blowing up completely :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've certainly seen illegal E-scooters getting pulled by the police, so yes, it does happen. I got my e-bike for commuting, when I was doing care-at-home work. They're ideal for a ten mile round trip where you've got no shower and you have to look presentable.
The Met reckon they catch about 30 every week. Considering the size of the town those are still pretty good odds for those that don't feel the need to obey the law.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Met reckon they catch about 30 every week. Considering the size of the town those are still pretty good odds for those that don't feel the need to obey the law.
Just out of interest, what happens when a naughty illegal ebiker is apprehended? Does the bike get impounded? FPN and on your way?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I do admire those who have the skills to tinker creating bikes that go like this! It would probably even get Jeremy Clarkson onto a bicycle!

(skip to 11:00 for the action bit)

I wish I could build something like that just for a laugh as 15.5mph is a bit limp wristed.

I wonder what would happen if he tried to register it as a motorcycle? Whether he'd be refused, or have insurance refused? And the MOT would be interesting. I think he'd have to have brake lights etc? I can't believe he's made something that powerful, and that indiscreet and expects to ride it to work and back regularly! Well good luck to him, but it's funny how people's attitudes are towards cetain people and different situations. If it were a 17 year old with a provisional license, riding a 500cc motorbike (same offence really) then this would probably attract more disagreement

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, what happens when a naughty illegal ebiker is apprehended? Does the bike get impounded? FPN and on your way?
Typically, the bike would be seized and the suspect off to court for licence and insurance offences. A qualified vehicle examiner will, erm, examine it and determine which category of motor vehicle it has now become, typically moped, light motorcycle or motorcycle, Tomahawk missile, etc, and then off they go to court where it's no laughing matter. Typical charges would be riding otherwise in accordance with a licence, no insurance and no MOT, and possibly no protective headgear if they're not wearing a proper motorbike lid. Try getting insurance after that, if you even have a licence left to get insurance on once the fairly standard 6 points have hit, and because no insurance is also classed a dishonesty offence it shows up on a DBS check. Forget working in the public sector and even large parts of the private sector with a dishonesty offence on your record.

Our local plod have fingered a few, but not many, and I suspect your typical bobby will neither know not care about e bikes and the various regulations around their use because they're simply not trained on the subject.

Last edited:
Top Bottom