Use the cycle path!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
None exist near me, even of there was I wouldn't be on them

e-rider

crappy member
'shared use' is a significant reason why cyclists don't use cycle paths - walkers and bikes don't mix well; dogs and bikes is just crazy - should never be allowed and isn't in many other countrys on cycleways

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So there are no circumstances where you would use a cyclepath? Can you see how that might look to other road users?
Not one. I don't really care how it looks to other road users, if a cycle lane doesn't go where I am it's wasted money

I have a shared use path that forces crossing of a roundabout, crossing over a layby, two hidden exits(one where Ive already been hit) and a ridiculously busy junction. The nearest ASL green box is 15miles

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
RobWard,

I'm thinking about whether to start a poll asking if posters think he will, wont be back, do you think he's a troll etc. What do you reckon?
Rob is relatively new to cycling, and cyclechat. He's just asking about stuff from the position of 'obvious innit' and many of us have been there over one topic or another... he ain't no troll guys & gals.

@RobWard ...now the nights are drawing in, and if you see any cyclists wearing dark clothes with no lights or reflectors.... don't mention it on cyclechat :okay:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Like others on here, i'm not a fan of cycle lanes. If i'm out on my bike with 28mm Marathon Plus tyres on i might use one, but there's so much puncture causing material on them i wouldn't like to use 23/25mm slick tyres on one.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Can somebody give me a good reason why some! cyclist don't use the cycle path when there is one provided. ?

Today between Ambleside and Windermere I was held up 4 times by cyclist not using the cycle path. The traffic ahead was held up by another one so tailbacks were now in progress. One cyclist even joined the tailbacks! All he had to do was go onto the shared pavement for cyclist just across the road! And he could of beat all the traffic. The blue sign was very clear to his right but still he refused to use it?

Whats going on ?. Why do so many cyclist refuse to use cycle paths that are provided?

Cyclists are not obliged to. There you go. Why don't you use a different road.

D

Deleted member 1258

If you stay on the road rather than pootle about on the shared-use path dodging dogs, children and overhanging hedge, you might get five minutes of it back.
I'm one of those people that that rarely use the cycle path.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Conkers,dog muck, plastic strips used to seal parcels, glass, plastic bottles, old shoes over hanging thick branched bushes,etc and that was just the road the other day. Imagine what state the cycle path was in!!!:ohmy:

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Rob is relatively new to cycling, and cyclechat. He's just asking about stuff from the position of 'obvious innit' and many of us have been there over one topic or another... he ain't no troll guys & gals.

@RobWard ...now the nights are drawing in, and if you see any cyclists wearing dark clothes with no lights or reflectors.... don't mention it on cyclechat :okay:
Actually I was thinking this. @RobWard posted here about his cycling.

I've been here about 6 months, and I haven't seen a lengthy thread on this topic in that time, so the reasons for use/not use of cycle paths from this august body of folks was interesting to me.
I initially thought (some 2 years or more ago now) that more cycle paths was better (it's obvious innit). Since then from my experience I find I mostly hate them (for all the reasons given here) and wouldn't touch most of them with the proverbial sh1tty stick.

I appreciate that for the old hands probably pretty much everything has been gone over numerous times and thus it's tedious to do so again, but short of posting "Cycling on the Martian River System - Is it safe?" pretty much anything pertinent to cyclists will have been done before. Chat is like that as opposed to a book I'm thinking...

I knew that the helmet debate was thorny, there are comprehensive warnings that it is. So I read the whole thread before commenting.
Any other topic though and you can't be so certain about whether you are re-opening a 'done to death' can of worms. It took me 3 days to get through the helmet debate, expecting newcomers to be cognisant of every topic that's been covered endlessly before posting seems unrealistic to me, you'd have to have read the whole board.

That said, the title could have been less inflammatory I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom