Using a Garmin with Android tablet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
I thinking of purchasing a Garmin touring edge to use for navigation. The question I have is I only have an Android tablet (tesco Hudl) to connect to the internet .Is it possible to download gpx files to the tablet then onto to the Garmin ? . Would I need a new lead tablet does not have a USB port just a micro USB lead .
Hopefully there some techies out there who can help I m not the most computer savvy person

You should be able to get an OTG cable (try eBay) and connect the Hudl to the Garmin and then offload GPX files from the Garmin as if it was an SD card or external drive (you'll need something like ES File Explorer).

This thread from elsewhere confirms that it can be done with Garmin 500 but other Garmins might be different.

U

User33236

I used to use a USB OTG cable and an android app called Uploader For Garmin with my Edge 800. I now just use bluetooth and Garmin Connect with my 1000.

robgul

Legendary Member
It does ... OTG cable + Garmin USB cable + ES File Manager.

I have an Edge Touring and both a Hudl and a Nexus 7 tablet. Both work fine although the file manager apps are bit odd and finding the correct folder is sometimes confusing.

I also use the OTG cable with a card reader to offload pix or other stuff from an Android phone and tablet onto an SD/SDmicro card.

Rob

si_c

Guru
At the risk of sounding contrary, it might be worth considering the Mio Cyclo 505, it has really good navigation options, plus a wifi sync feature. Basically you'd need to setup the cyclo on a computer (a friend could do this for you) and connect it to your mioshare account, but after that any tracks you upload to your mioshare account (gpx etc) can be synced directly onto your device without needing to connect it to a computer.

I've been using mine for the last couple of months, really impressed. I've only connected it once as I had a GPX file I wanted to look at closer.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm looking to load gpx files on to the Garmin for sportive etc
What is ES file explorer please excuse my ignorance
It's an Android app that gives you better access to the various folders in Android than the default File Commander (or whatever your version has).

Just ordered myself an OTG cable. Thanks for the tip.

2clepto

I thinking of purchasing a Garmin touring edge to use for navigation. The question I have is I only have an Android tablet (tesco Hudl) to connect to the internet .Is it possible to download gpx files to the tablet then onto to the Garmin ? . Would I need a new lead tablet does not have a USB port just a micro USB lead .
Hopefully there some techies out there who can help I m not the most computer savvy person

checkout an android app called foxfi. it might help. turns ur device into a router. works really well with wifi and bluetooth. i live in a city. i havent a garmin tho.

Top Bottom