Using studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I had a fun ride on icy roads today:dance:(deepest darkest Midlothian).
There was one point where I had to put a foot down to stop at a junction and nearly slipped, even though I had deliberately stopped on a not obviously icy bit :rolleyes:. At the end of an offroad bit I met a fellow cyclist going the other way, and mentioned the icy conditions - he was very interested to see the tyres, possibly another convert. ;) He decided to turn round and head along the main road instead...
In the meantime the first proper flurry of snow of the evening arrived :snowball: - it's supposed to snow all night, amber MetOffice warning!

T

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Finished bedding in my set of Schwable Winter Marathons, but I'm curious as to whether I've been short-changed or whether Schwable have altered the design: I only have an inner ring of studs on each tyre, while every image I've seen recently suggests there's usually two. Any ideas anyone?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Finished bedding in my set of Schwable Winter Marathons, but I'm curious as to whether I've been short-changed or whether Schwable have altered the design: I only have an inner ring of studs on each tyre, while every image I've seen recently suggests there's usually two. Any ideas anyone?
Are they Marathon Winters, or just plain Winters? The plain Winters only have half the number of studs.

potsy

Rambler
There are two versions of the tyre Jon, one has double the amount of studs, you must have the version with fewer studs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are Winters and then snow studs, I know I've got one and Mr Summerdays has the other type.

I wish I had used them this morning, as I needed them!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The current range from Schwalbes website: http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/spikes.html

As others have already said, sounds like you've got the basic Winter tyre not Marathon Winter.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The benefit of regular Winters is that you can get them in 30mm width, so they fit on my CdF even with guards.

Fat bikes works best for deep snow.
Studded work best on ice.
Never lean into a icy turn.
On ice never grab a fist full of front brake.
If the ice has any water on top of it even studs will have a hard time finding grip.

Top Bottom