Using studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Weather forecast is for some frosty mornings next week, so I may get the chance to try the Winters on ice.
Hey, you're rearing to go: this guarantees mild temperatures all winter :laugh:
But be careful in spring: I fell on iced last year end of March, I had thought that on a beautiful sunny morning the ice bike could stay home :B)

potsy

Rambler
Still shorts & t-shirt weather here, what's all this talk of ice? :heat:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hey, you're rearing to go: this guarantees mild temperatures all winter :laugh:
But be careful in spring: I fell on iced last year end of March, I had thought that on a beautiful sunny morning the ice bike could stay home :B)

Good point about ice later in the year.

My static caravan has taught me there can be some nasty frosts in March or even April.

Bad news for the 'van if the water is turned on.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
...update...

I've now done 20+ frost free miles, so the Winters should be nicely bedded in.

Three reasons to be cheerful.

1. The tyres roll better than I was expecting - I couldn't detect much difference between them and the previous balloons.

2. They are more comfortable than I was expecting - the Winters are almost as comfortable as the balloons, although I did run those at fairly high pressure.

3. My now over-size mudguards work much better - my ride on Sunday was in heavy rain and the bike didn't get nearly as dirty as it would have done with the balloon tyres.

No significant downsides so far.

The Winters do track and squirm a tiny bit over minor imperfections, particularly the ridged tiles on some cycle paths around here.

Not a problem now that I'm used to it.

Weather forecast is for some frosty mornings next week, so I may get the chance to try the Winters on ice.
I don't find frost slippy apart from road markings, but if you see a frozen puddle then try cycling over it!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well @potsy I've put mine on.... And it was so easy this time I did both tyre changes in about 15 mins.... Then it had obviously been too easy so I ended up with atrocious rubbing on the mudguard. Mr Summerdays then did a bit of fettling on the mudguard bridge and now it its all working.

That should delay any forecast snow and ice for the south west!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well @potsy I've put mine on.... And it was so easy this time I did both tyre changes in about 15 mins.... Then it had obviously been too easy so I ended up with atrocious rubbing on the mudguard. Mr Summerdays then did a bit of fettling on the mudguard bridge and now it its all working.

and I should have kept it away from Leicester for a while as I also put my studded tyres on the hybrid this morning, and also like you was surprised how quickly I got them on, again took me about 15 minutes. No mudguard issues though as I only have one of those useless dirtmonkey things on the back.

potsy

Rambler

I only adjusted my guards back to fit the 28's last week, hopefully won't need to put the studs on just yet.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I only adjusted my guards back to fit the 28's last week, hopefully won't need to put the studs on just yet.
:cold::cold::cold: Have you looked at the temperatures for next week.... :biggrin:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First ride of the year on the ice tyres this morning. I didn't really need to use it but the first ride of the year is always really slow as I get used to them again, so with a shortened commute planned today it was a good way to get that first ride pain out of the way, looks like I will be on them for the rest of the week.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've used mine for the first time this year.
Did a day back in November, when it suddenly froze, but ice did not come back till briefly on new year's day.
Guess it's here to stay!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was really wet last night then froze so the ice tyres went on this morning and got a bit of a workout. Only thing is I've lost my first stud on just the second slippy ride.:sad:

Top Bottom