Using studded tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
fossyant never ever lost any, @potsy lost all his ... I'll let him tell you the story :whistle:
Oi!
I didn't lose them all, there were still a few attached by the end of the 'gentle' bedding in ride :tongue:

I have seen some replacement studs for sale somewhere that even come with a tool for putting them in, or as Pat says a bit of washing up liquid and a pair of pliers, with a lot of patience should do instead.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I did get an envelope full of spares for free from Schwalbe a few years ago, needed about 4, gave some last year to @Telemark, lost 2 under the washing machine, still got a good handful.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I didn't realise buying a set of tyres could be so much fun.

You can get spare parts, and you even get a little tool to play with (so to speak).

I'm having the tyres sent to my local bike shop for ease of delivery.

Chris the manager there made a good point - he said it's a good idea to get something new for your bike at this time of year because it refreshes your interest, so you are less likely to put the bike away for winter.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Oh and be doubly careful with metalwork.
... and cobbles!

The most off putting noise is the sound on Tarmac, you won't be sneaking up on pedestrians or other cyclists!
Dogs are looking very confused, too, when they hear the strange creature approaching - some say it sounds like bacon frying, other think it's more like rice crispies when milk is being added and they crackle & pop :whistle: ...

3rd year on ice tyres here, invested in a new pair this year as one of the old tyres was dead, and I decided to get the 200+ stud version with my daily commute which involves quite a lot of hills with ice.
When there was unexpected heavy snowfall on the higher ground south of Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago (2-3 inches settling very quickly), there was chaos and gridlock on the roads, with cars sliding on all bit the shallowest uphill gradients. The ice tyres were rock solid on a steep-ish wee downhill convered in in snow - on the separated cycle path, but then again I didn't try speeding and took the corner at the bottom of the hill slowly ... :dance:
As somebody said earlier, the worst bit with icy conditions is the potential for big metal objects to slide uncontrollably, and their operators often not driving sensibly and taking account of the conditions.
I've also got a pair of 'granny crampons' in my pannier at this time of year, if I ever need to get off and walk under icy conditions - they weigh next to nothing, just go on over normal shoes. We got ours at LIDL a few years ago, haven't used them very often but lifesavers on rare occasions - pavements in Edinburgh can be lethal :ph34r:.

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've also got a pair of 'granny crampons' in my pannier at this time of year, if I ever need to get off and walk under icy conditions
Hey, did not really think those did work: will invest in a pair, icy pavements are lethal here too. Sometimes walking is inevitable, cycling across the road to the shops seems somehow ott :laugh:

clid61

Veteran
used em last 3 years shite in snow but ace in ice ! have them on mountain bike , thinking of getting a set for my crossbike

Carry a decent pump

There is a central tyre ridge and at high pressure this is the main contact point and decreases the amount of stud contact so is fine for Tarmac and normal to light conditions

Any more than that and lower the pressure, as the tyre flattens the grip increases as the number of studs contacting increases

I find that running a Marathon Winter at 40 psi comes with most snow

However it will always be a compromise

Also if you have a trike the studs on the rear wheel cope with drive, but you also need studs on the front wheels for braking grip

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I bought a pair of Marathon Winter 35s as a bit of indulgence last week for Patsy #3, The Hybrid, and it seems I need to run them in. How and why?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I bought a pair of Marathon Winter 35s as a bit of indulgence last week for Patsy #3, The Hybrid, and it seems I need to run them in. How and why?
How? A ride of around 25 miles on tarmac. I ran mine at a lowish pressure for this (40psi front and 45 rear if I remember right).

Why? So that all the studs bed in properly and won't pull out when you do get to run them on ice.

Bodhbh

Guru
used em last 3 years shite in snow but ace in ice ! have them on mountain bike , thinking of getting a set for my crossbike

They're not great with anything more than a dusting. You can always stick a full on snow tyre like an ice-spiker on the front as a comprimise. Generally where the front goes, the back will follow and you're not lumbered with the drag from 2 ice-spikers. But, all academic given the current weather....

Top Bottom