Vacuum for pet hair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Our 3 cats were "housed" in the cellar at night, but now they are all old we've given them the run of the house. This has resulted in a never ending cat hair clean up operation and it's driving me nuts. Our normal Hoover and battery G-Tech thing are useless for getting the hairs off, throws, bedding, clothes, cushions etc Can anybody recommend one from personal use before I shave them?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A Numatic Henry PET200 is excellent.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Vax Steerable Pet - got one at home and one at the caravan. The accessory pack comes with a nozzle that's great for picking hair of stair carpets. We have to hoover twice a day - 3 very long haired cats, one with long hair, and one with short hair.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
A Numatic Henry PET200 is excellent.
Hmmm, good job I have a cellar to keep it in.

1583757677881.jpeg

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Vax Steerable Pet - got one at home and one at the caravan. The accessory pack comes with a nozzle that's great for picking hair of stair carpets. We have to hoover twice a day - 3 very long haired cats, one with long hair, and one with short hair.
It's a nightmare, the cellar has concrete floor & stone walls so the hair tended to gather and was easy to deal with, now it's everywhere!

gbb

Legendary Member
Having a sheddy dog...and sometimes a smelly one when he's got wet i have always noticed two things...
Henry with a turbo brush particually picks up the hair no problem...but...I don't know why but it becomes impregnated with the smell of the dog and TBH, quite smelly sometimes. I clean the filers, even the motor filter which is a faff to get to, put in hoover smelly discs, wash it regularly...it never really cures it.
We then got a Shark. Brilliant piece of kit, even better at picking up hairs ...but...same as above, it smells. The hoover smelly discs help more in the Shark than the Henry, but it doesnt cure it altogether. Also, the cord on the Shark is remarkably poor quality cable. Its not flexible in the winter, retains a memory and is a right nuisance to coil up( mind my house is kept quite cold, that doesnt help)
Years ago we had a compact Vax...but never suffered with the smell problem. I always wondered if its the way these machines generate their suction, suction being driven directly through the motor/fan or not perhaps.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Having a sheddy dog...and sometimes a smelly one when he's got wet i have always noticed two things...

Henry with a turbo brush particually picks up the hair no problem...but...I don't know why but it becomes impregnated with the smell of the dog and TBH, quite smelly sometimes. I clean the filers, even the motor filter which is a faff to get to, put in hoover smelly discs, wash it regularly...it never really cures it.
I don't have a dog but my sister has a border terrier and they spend a total of 8-10 days a year here, 2 days at a time. It always amazes me how much my vacuum cleaner smells of the dog! Even if he hasn't been here for months, the smell lingers. I think the only answer would be to replace the cleaner bag after every visit even if it isn't anywhere near full.

Those of you, @DCLane and @raleighnut , who recommend vacuum cleaners with rotating brushes where the brush is powered by the suction, not a belt, tell me, doesn't the roller stall when it hits carpet? Does it manage to actually brush the carpet?
I'm thinking that if the roller really spins well against a carpet, why not just buy a roller head for your regular vacuum cleaner instead of a new machine?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Those of you, @DCLane and @raleighnut , who recommend vacuum cleaners with rotating brushes where the brush is powered by the suction, not a belt, tell me, doesn't the roller stall when it hits carpet? Does it manage to actually brush the carpet?
I'm thinking that if the roller really spins well against a carpet, why not just buy a roller head for your regular vacuum cleaner instead of a new machine?
The roller has quite a bit of 'float' vertically so it's fine on most carpets, I suppose if you've got 'Shag Pile' carpets it could be a problem but I've not seen any of that for years. The Miele does come with a non brush head too though but I think that's for wooden/tiled floors.

Top Bottom