Vegan Diet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
I'd be wary of a vegan diet Jogger mate...I have a works colleague who manages ok but he does little aerobic exersise and he eats a lot of vegan processed food...besides you would be missing out on things like eggs and butter which are very healthy in moderation. Forget the medical lipid hypothesis controversy mythology (that saturated animal fat causes heart disease) the real killers are processed sugars and carbohydrates.

Davidc

Guru
According to the BHF vegetable oils (the trans fat free ones) including those in avocados are good for the heart.

If you are extremely careful to ensure that you get all the vital nutrients and sufficient energy you should be OK on a vegan diet, but it's easier to achieve that on a vegetarian one.

Typical western diets, especially those which include processed and industrially prepared foods, in particular products from intensively farmed animals, are certainly not healthy. However according to the material I've read (in connection with controlling inherited diabetes and heart issues) vegan and vegetarian diets which contain industrially processed and prepared food, and some plant products grown using intensive farming techniques can be as unhealthy as any animal derived foods.

What saddens me is that elsewhere in the world, as people get wealthier, they aspire to leave behind their healthy foods and start eating western style rubbish instead, with the inevitable deterioration in their long-term health.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Today was world vegan day. I hope nobody celebrated by eating the sweets that Wiggle uses as packing material.

haribotreat.jpg

haribotreat2.jpg

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well I'm five weeks into it now and things are going really well. I was put to a test today sitting in the canteen with two mates encouraging me to order the same as them, fish and chips, I stuck to my fruit salad, later had a vegan curry chickpea wrap from a food stall at Waterloo and tonight a cracking tofu stir fry. I'm actually finding it quite easy and feel good for it.

Born2die

Well I'm five weeks into it now and things are going really well. I was put to a test today sitting in the canteen with two mates encouraging me to order the same as them, fish and chips, I stuck to my fruit salad, later had a vegan curry chickpea wrap from a food stall at Waterloo and tonight a cracking tofu stir fry. I'm actually finding it quite easy and feel good for it.
Congrats I could never go veggie let alone vegan you have my respect

sheffgirl

I tried to be vegetarian ( well pescatarian) and I was doing really well, and I enjoyed it but then I had a meat binge, I ate tons of chicken one week and i am still eating meat again now. I am meaning to get back into it, becAuse it forced me to eat more vegetables and be healthier. I have just been stressed with work and too lazy to cook properly.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i would like to go this way too but i hate most food groups and struggle to feed myself as it is. Hate animal farming techniques tho so try to buy free range stuff where i can and limit my meat intake, altho i know most of my foods have animal stuff in so prob making little difference in the bigger picture.
i have a vegan friend who is extremely fit, cycles round the world and stuff and looks very muscly!! So you can be vegan and healthy.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
A vegan diet is not an issue when it comes to fitness and health but you do have to think more about how balanced each meal is (I'm not vegan btw), but why @The Jogger would you exclude avocados and nuts? Very essential as a vegan and healthy fats are necessary when you're physically active.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Hi @ttcycle I have decided to include nuts in the diet quite a few as I really felt I needed them to help with the protein, I now occasionally have avocado.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As I'm slightly allergic to nuts, and avocados seriously disagree with my stomach xx( I doubt I'll bother with a vegan diet.
I do eat veggie food quite frequently, but only because I sometimes like a change from eating animals.

Top Bottom