Vegan Diet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Are there any vegans on here as I am seriously considering starting a plant based diet which is more or less vegan. It might even be a bit stricter as it advocates no oils, no avocados either and not many nuts. Not sure whether to dive straight in or ease into it. It is based on a study by a Dr Esselstyn it is by nature a healthy heart diet.

fossala

Guru
I'm a vegan, have been for quite a while. I was brought up vegi, ate meat for 5 years after becoming a chef, now a vegan. I still taste food that I cook at work but that is a must too pay my bills.

I don't get why you wouldn't use oils (I guess that would include spreads) and not having nuts on a vegan diet sounds a bit silly. They are a good source of fat and protien.

I also don't see why people go on fad diets, just eat sensibly and excersise.

sazzaa

Have you read any other nutrition based studies? Might be an idea to see what other people have discovered before diving straight into a very limited diet, which will no doubt only make you crave the things you're not allowed (same as most other diets). There are also studies about the effects these diets have and the almost guaranteed failure of such diets, if you want to delve into it a bit further.

Also reading up on the benefits of avocados and nuts is probably a good idea, especially if you exercise a lot.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
There is nothing wrong with the vegan diet for ethical reasons, but I wouldn't see why people would do it to be healthy.

I'm very healthy, good muscle mass, fairly low wait (just under 70kg) but it's hard work. I have to make sure every meal is packed full of what you need. IMO nuts are a must.

Have you looked into how you are going to get your calcium (green veg) or protien or ammino acids? I'll help you as much as you need with advise but I couldn't see why someone would use veganism as a diet.

michaelcycle

It is based on a study by a Dr Esselstyn it is by nature a healthy heart diet.

Not if you become vitamin B12 deficient.

If you are doing it for ethical reasons as someone else said then more power to your arm. Physiologically though I think it is a bit meh.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
There is nothing wrong with the vegan diet for ethical reasons, but I wouldn't see why people would do it to be healthy.

I'm very healthy, good muscle mass, fairly low wait (just under 70kg) but it's hard work. I have to make sure every meal is packed full of what you need. IMO nuts are a must.

Have you looked into how you are going to get your calcium (green veg) or protien or ammino acids? I'll help you as much as you need with advise but I couldn't see why someone would use veganism as a diet.

Thanks, I did go vegetarian before for ethical reasons but unfortunately failed in that so this is not totally for dietary reasons. It is a good opportunity at the same time to eat healthily. I am not doing it for weight loss reasons as I have managed to lose weight doing the 5:2 fasting diet, which I can stick to.

Calcium would come from the vegetables but I could also take a supplement although I think I have too much calcium already (kidney stones and deposits on shoulders). I will look more into that. There is also enough protein available from the vegetables and whole grains. Anyway that's the plan and I will do more research on the whole thing. There is also an exhibition coming soon to Olympia which I will go to. Thanks for the reply.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The good thing about fad dieting is that you don't have to think or understand and you only have to do it until the next one crops up!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To be fair, I would hardly class veganism as a fad diet and it will probably be healthier (well unless you become a zealot that is) than the standard Western diet which is usually nutrient deficient and calorie dense (hence the increase in diseased populations.)

Not equating veganism to a fad diet. I am equating what the op is talking about to fad dieting. The distinction is quite clear when you read the post. Typical traits of a fad diet, whole food groups or food that have high nutritional value are eliminated, as time goes by more and more similar diets come up, eliminating even larger groups and specific foods. A single or very few short term scientific studies have been published. Quite common to see linkages made to when people used to hunt or scavenge for food.

michaelcycle

Not equating veganism to a fad diet. I am equating what the op is talking about to fad dieting. The distinction is quite clear when you read the post. Typical traits of a fad diet, whole food groups or food that have high nutritional value are eliminated, as time goes by more and more similar diets come up, eliminating even larger groups and specific foods. A single or very few short term scientific studies have been published. Quite common to see linkages made to when people used to hunt or scavenge for food.

Fair play but my reading of the OP was not that he was seeking a diet which arbitrarily eliminates whole food groups to achieve temporary weight loss with little or no regard to long term health implications or weight regulation. He seemed to be doing it because he believed it would be good for his overall health.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Fair play but my reading of the OP was not that he was seeking a diet which arbitrarily eliminates whole food groups to achieve temporary weight loss with little or no regard to long term health implications or weight regulation. He seemed to be doing it because he believed it would be good for his overall health.

Yes it certainly is to benefit overall health but also I would like to think the ethical side was also part of it. As I said earlier I did try once before for ethical only reasons.

Top Bottom