Vegan Diet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone suggest good vegan or vegetarian recipe sites?

I eat dairy and meat (chicken and fish only) but looking for recipes that might tempt me away from eating as much as I do

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I don't do any long distances, but at nearly 60, and vegan for the best part of 40 years, I can say that it's possible to be healthy and full of energy. I play fives with younger blokes twice a week and am quicker and have more in my tank than any of them. As for going vegan for the 'diet', well that's a fad, and I think diets are daft.
Veganism is excellent for animals and the losing weight is a bi product for humans.

Ian A

Über Member
Sorry to dig up an old thread but this may be of interest to you (apologies if you already know this stuff). I've been looking at Tim Van Orden's YouTube channel and website. He holds a few state running titles for this age group and has had a couple of top ten finishes in the empire states building race. A lot of his videos talk about his vegan food choices for training and nutrition. I've also bought one of Brendan Brazier's books which I'm working through called Thrive Foods. He's a pro ironman triathlete and a lot of the recipes look very doable. He has several books available on training and nutrition.

Veganpower

I live a Vegan lifestyle and I'm very happy. 100% sustainable and I'm always happy with what I eat - Low fat and low salt, best surmised by Freelee's raw until 4. However, some days everything I eat is raw. I'm not a fan of processed vegan rubbish but that's just my opinion.

I have a lot of respect for Durianrider, were it not for him I wouldn't own a bike, nor would I be a very happy cyclist. I'm also planing to go to the Thai Fruit Festival in July.

I agree with the OP, I came to this lifestyle for health and energy reasons but the more I learn about common farming practices the more I agree with a vegan lifestyle for ethical reasons.

Vegan for the win ^_^

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I don't do the vegan imitation meat stuff and try to eat as little processed as possible, I tried raw kale and to my surprise I really liked it. I love not having that bloated feeling after a meal, the food just leaves you feeling good after a meal and satisfied.

I have watched a few vegan films re the animal cruelty stuff and for sure I will be staying vegan.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have found this website http://www.nomeatathlete.com/ quite useful for recipes. I'm veggie but with no dairy which effectively leaves me as vegan + eggs because I don't have honey. His black bean brownies are wonderful, though I have modified the recipe a touch for my own tastes!

Thanks for posting this SNSSO

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
@Veganpower I just can't believe how anyone can not see clearly that Duranrider is an idiot and one which spouts unsupported claims that can endanger other peoples health. The fact that he openly admits to taking regular B12 injections shows that he does not have a balanced diet. !!

Duran Rider has no qualification relating to health or nutrition and as stated he shares only his own view and little of what he states can be supported by scientific evidence. He even believes eating vast quantities of banana's a day is a positive thing for a balanced diet and health.
A low fat diet is not always a positive thing, your body requires fat to function effectively. You just need to understand the difference between good fats and bad fats.

Here a reasonable assessment of his DuranRiders claims by someone with training and experience in nutrition
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2011/...ianrider-an-analysis-of-his-paleo-vegan-diet/
There are many many other examples of nutrition professionals debunking the myths and lies told by Duranrider.

You say you respect him, but are you aware that he has abused people on youtube and threatened people who disagree with him?
http://30bananasadaysucks.com/2012/05/death-threats-from-harley-johnstone-aka-durianrider/
He has ended up in court on a number of occasions for threats of violence such as this case.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OTY3MS00OTFmLTlmYzQtM2NiNmZiMDJmYjUw&hl=en_US

Nobody at all who conducts themselves in such a manner is worthy of respect imho

Last edited:

Veganpower

@Veganpower I just can't believe how anyone can not see clearly that Duranrider is an idiot and one which spouts unsupported claims that can endanger other peoples health. The fact that he openly admits to taking regular B12 injections shows that he does not have a balanced diet. !!

Duran Rider has no qualification relating to health or nutrition and as stated he shares only his own view and little of what he states can be supported by scientific evidence. He even believes eating vast quantities of banana's a day is a positive thing for a balanced diet and health.
A low fat diet is not always a positive thing, your body requires fat to function effectively. You just need to understand the difference between good fats and bad fats.

Here a reasonable assessment of his DuranRiders claims by someone with training and experience in nutrition
http://paleozonenutrition.com/2011/...ianrider-an-analysis-of-his-paleo-vegan-diet/
There are many many other examples of nutrition professionals debunking the myths and lies told by Duranrider.

You say you respect him, but are you aware that he has abused people on youtube and threatened people who disagree with him?
http://30bananasadaysucks.com/2012/05/death-threats-from-harley-johnstone-aka-durianrider/
He has ended up in court on a number of occasions for threats of violence such as this case.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...OTY3MS00OTFmLTlmYzQtM2NiNmZiMDJmYjUw&hl=en_US

Nobody at all who conducts themselves in such a manner is worthy of respect imho

I always appreciate new information, so thanks. I guess I can ask him about it in July :smile:

Mr Haematocrit

I always appreciate new information, so thanks. I guess I can ask him about it in July :smile:

Would you not be better asking a qualified heath/nutrionist professional?
read some of the links I provided and they will give you food for thought, his views are not widely supported by food nutrition professionals.
If you wish to ask anything, ask for long term independent scientific research supporting the claims he makes.

Veganpower

I just wrote a very long and draw out reply but I'm not going to post it because it read argumentative, and that's not what I'm here for.

Thank you for your reply, I'll continue doing my research and living the lifestyle I feel is right for me.

What I will say is, I didn't come to my current lifestyle solely through information gained from Durianrider. I have done plenty of research, which is ongoing, and his views back up what I already knew. I first heard about the vegan idea through Alan Carr the stop smoking guru, another person I have a lot of respect for, without whom I would still be a smoker.

As a caveat, even if Durianrider isn’t as saintly as I would like to think he is, he’s inspired me to improve the quality of my life and motivated me to take action. How bad can his influence be? If I didn’t feel exceptional good, both mentally and physically, I may be concerned. If one day that changes I may reconsider my position, but until that day……

Vegan for the win.

Mr Haematocrit

I just wrote a very long and draw out reply but I'm not going to post it because it read argumentative, and that's not what I'm here for.

Thank you for your reply, I'll continue doing my research and living the lifestyle I feel is right for me.

What I will say is, I didn't come to my current lifestyle solely through information gained from Durianrider. I have done plenty of research, which is ongoing, and his views back up what I already knew. I first heard about the vegan idea through Alan Carr the stop smoking guru, another person I have a lot of respect for, without whom I would still be a smoker.

As a caveat, even if Durianrider isn’t as saintly as I would like to think he is, he’s inspired me to improve the quality of my life and motivated me to take action. How bad can his influence be? If I didn’t feel exceptional good, both mentally and physically, I may be concerned. If one day that changes I may reconsider my position, but until that day……

Vegan for the win.

Please don't think I'm attempting to be critical of your lifestyle or choices. I am hardly in a position to be critical of anyone having survived exclusively on fast food diet for many years. The fact I had no outward sign of bad health does not mean I was not rotting from the inside out.. Over the past few years I have been trying to make better choices as I suspect have you.
I think debate and discussion on food is a good thing as our nations relationship with it, is pretty bad in general and this needs to change.
Im not sure Vegan is for me but I would not be critical of it as I feel it is a step in the right direction, meaning it is a lifestyle choice and those who choose to do it are most certainly committed to a lifestyle change which is what is required for better health imho. (I hate quick fix media diet fads, its a change of habit/lifestyle which is whats required)

Equally I have no issue with Duranriders views although they differ from my own, the thing I object to in reality is that he does not encourage healthy debate where we all win. Im also of the opinion that some of his rants towards other people who disagree are unwarranted, like you I see no need in being argumentative.

I personally seem to be heading towards a pescatarian diet myself however this is not though any intent, its just that I seem to crave fish rather than meat these days. I also never ate any fish at all until I was 30 years old.... So im as weird/strange as anyone when it comes to food.

Blooming eck... someone must have all the answers, but its not me.
Lets just keep asking questions and learning, that's seems to be the best idea I have

Veganpower

Please don't think I'm attempting to be critical of your lifestyle or choices. I am hardly in a position to be critical of anyone having survived exclusively on fast food diet for many years. The fact I had no outward sign of bad health does not mean I was not rotting from the inside out.. Over the past few years I have been trying to make better choices as I suspect have you.
I think debate and discussion on food is a good thing as our nations relationship with it, is pretty bad in general and this needs to change.
Im not sure Vegan is for me but I would not be critical of it as I feel it is a step in the right direction, meaning it is a lifestyle choice and those who choose to do it are most certainly committed to a lifestyle change which is what is required for better health imho. (I hate quick fix media diet fads, its a change of habit/lifestyle which is whats required)

Equally I have no issue with Duranriders views although they differ from my own, the thing I object to in reality is that he does not encourage healthy debate where we all win. Im also of the opinion that some of his rants towards other people who disagree are unwarranted, like you I see no need in being argumentative.

I personally seem to be heading towards a pescatarian diet myself however this is not though any intent, its just that I seem to crave fish rather than meat these days. I also never ate any fish at all until I was 30 years old.... So im as weird/strange as anyone when it comes to food.

Blooming eck... someone must have all the answers, but its not me.
Lets just keep asking questions and learning, that's seems to be the best idea I have

agreed, debate is good. And I completely agree about the fad/ quick fix diets.

I think time will be the judge of my decisions but I will try and keep an objective record of my progress/failings.

:hugs:

Top Bottom