Vegan Diet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are there any vegans on here as I am seriously considering starting a plant based diet which is more or less vegan. It might even be a bit stricter as it advocates no oils, no avocados either and not many nuts. Not sure whether to dive straight in or ease into it. It is based on a study by a Dr Esselstyn it is by nature a healthy heart diet.

Fair enough. The only criticism I've read of Dr Esselstyn's methods is that it is based on multiple intervention studies which single out animal food sources as the reason for the effective outcome. Either way his methods get the desired results so I won't be one to criticise. I won't even start on the whole cholesterol hypothesis debate as it's really not for here but if you're reading Dr Esselstyn's work as you are interested in your CV health it's always worth looking at alternative views such as Dr Malcolm Kendrick's or for a less accessible but more scientific read someone like Uffe Ravnskov for balance.

Back to the original question. There a many successful vegan athletes. Have a look at Scott User10571's writings on vegan nutrition. You can't win 150 mile long running races without knowing a thing or two. There's a lot of internet groups for vegan athletes and body builders. The main thing is to eat clean and base your food choices on fresh food not junk.

Last point is there are essential fats. Don't be afraid of fats. I'll shut up now as I'm only as knowledgeable as the last website or book I read!

Last edited:
His videos are great. "I think meat is bad so I have a picture of a 30 stone woman which I've written the words meat eater underneath. What do you mean you're not all instantly converted to my way of thinking? It's a picture of a fat woman. What proof do you need?" He may well be a nutrition expert but facts and references work better than insults. There are plenty of fantastic vegan athletes sharing their knowledge out there who would be a better source information.

Last edited:
I have for a long time, you seem completely unaware of what happened last time he was mentioned.

Care to englighten me?

Sara_H

Guru
Well I'm five weeks into it now and things are going really well. I was put to a test today sitting in the canteen with two mates encouraging me to order the same as them, fish and chips, I stuck to my fruit salad, later had a vegan curry chickpea wrap from a food stall at Waterloo and tonight a cracking tofu stir fry. I'm actually finding it quite easy and feel good for it.
I'm vegetarian but have gone vegan a few times when I've been on a diet to lose weight.
I find I eat really well when I'm doing vegan, and have loads of energy. I have to be really organised though due to having to do extra shopping trips as I can't physically fit all the fruit and veg needed for a full week on the bike!

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm vegetarian but have gone vegan a few times when I've been on a diet to lose weight.
I find I eat really well when I'm doing vegan, and have loads of energy. I have to be really organised though due to having to do extra shopping trips as I can't physically fit all the fruit and veg needed for a full week on the bike!

I have lost 25lbs overall about 19lbs in the nine weeks of being vegan, I have found it pretty easy and cycling less labour some.

discominer

I don't do any long distances, but at nearly 60, and vegan for the best part of 40 years, I can say that it's possible to be healthy and full of energy. I play fives with younger blokes twice a week and am quicker and have more in my tank than any of them. As for going vegan for the 'diet', well that's a fad, and I think diets are daft.

Top Bottom