Vegan Diet Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
I just wrote a very long and draw out reply but I'm not going to post it because it read argumentative, and that's not what I'm here for.

I just did the same and deleted for the same reason. I could rant for hours about the subject of all the rubbish I've read and heard from people on all sides of the nutrition debate. I've already posted my favourite vegan athletes when it comes to sharing nutrition advice (not that I'm an authority on any of this). For raw nutrition Tim Van Orden and Rich Roll are both accomplished athletes and can convey their position in an argument in a mature and adult way which includes facts. Scott User10571 and Brendan Brazier for excellent advice also. Scott User10571 is one of the finest athletes of our time, vegan or otherwise and again doesn't have to post videos of fat people talking about low carb, meat, or anything else to "prove" a point :whistle:.

I genuinely wish you all the best with this Mr Veganpower :smile:.

Edited due to getting your name wrong. Sorry!

Last edited:

Veganpower

I just did the same and deleted for the same reason. I could rant for hours about the subject of all the rubbish I've read and heard from people on all sides of the nutrition debate. I've already posted my favourite vegan athletes when it comes to sharing nutrition advice. For raw nutrition Tim Van Orden and Rich Roll are both accomplished athletes and can convey their position in an argument in a mature and adult way which includes facts. Scott User10571 and Brendan Brazier for excellent advice also. Scott User10571 is one of the finest athletes of our time, vegan or otherwise and again doesn't have to post videos of fat people talking about low carb, meat, or anything else to "prove" a point :whistle:.

I genuinely wish you all the best with this Mr Plantpower :smile:.

Thanks, I've heard of Rich Roll, I started reading his book, but I'll check out Tim Van Orden and the others you mentioned. :smile:

I just did the same and deleted for the same reason. I could rant for hours about the subject of all the rubbish I've read and heard from people on all sides of the nutrition debate. I've already posted my favourite vegan athletes when it comes to sharing nutrition advice (not that I'm an authority on any of this). For raw nutrition Tim Van Orden and Rich Roll are both accomplished athletes and can convey their position in an argument in a mature and adult way which includes facts. Scott User10571 and Brendan Brazier for excellent advice also. Scott User10571 is one of the finest athletes of our time, vegan or otherwise and again doesn't have to post videos of fat people talking about low carb, meat, or anything else to "prove" a point :whistle:.

I genuinely wish you all the best with this Mr Veganpower :smile:.

Edited due to getting your name wrong. Sorry!

Have you come across this website? http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipes/ Not 100% raw (probably 99.9% because sometimes her ingredients are not always 100% raw) but full of great recipes once you have worked out the UK alternatives and measurement system. I have found some great recipes there as well. She runs a Raw food restaurant

Ian A

Über Member
Have you come across this website? http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipes/ Not 100% raw (probably 99.9% because sometimes her ingredients are not always 100% raw) but full of great recipes once you have worked out the UK alternatives and measurement system. I have found some great recipes there as well. She runs a Raw food restaurant

That's great, thanks. I haven't seen that website. Looks like plenty of good stuff we can make with the kids that they may actually want to eat ^_^.

Ian A

Über Member
I've had a bit more of a look at that website and my going raw book which I haven't had time to use due to building work etc and I think I may have found a use for my dehydrator. I bought it with the intention of turning aging bananas into dried fruit for long cycle rides but it would need to be on all week. The going raw book which has plenty of recipes which use soaked and dehydrated nuts. If I can get enough things in their it may be worth switching the thing on. It's not an expensive one as I thought it best to see how much I see it before spending a lot. It would be nice to make things which aren't basically sweet things that the kids can still get their hands dirty with. In the summer we'll be trying to make a diy sun dried tomato maker to use with the bumper stock of tomatoes we end up growing in the garden. We all like them and they're so expensive to buy.

I've had a bit more of a look at that website and my going raw book which I haven't had time to use due to building work etc and I think I may have found a use for my dehydrator. I bought it with the intention of turning aging bananas into dried fruit for long cycle rides but it would need to be on all week. The going raw book which has plenty of recipes which use soaked and dehydrated nuts. If I can get enough things in their it may be worth switching the thing on. It's not an expensive one as I thought it best to see how much I see it before spending a lot. It would be nice to make things which aren't basically sweet things that the kids can still get their hands dirty with. In the summer we'll be trying to make a diy sun dried tomato maker to use with the bumper stock of tomatoes we end up growing in the garden. We all like them and they're so expensive to buy.
My dehydrator is on at the moment. Teriyaki Kale Crisps are one the go and tomorrow, Sweet Miso Kale crisps. I then need to get some raw onion bread made up, but I have my own recipe for that. Through the summer and autumn I make a lot of fruit leathers which my 8 year old and 12 years step-nieces love. There are various other recipes I do as well and the autumn is also a really good time for dehydrating fungi if you know what you are collecting. I guess my dehydrator is on about once a week on average - I also use it for proving bread or pizza dough (not actually being a raw foodie, just someone who eats some raw food) and for making cashew nut cheese which usually disappears very rapidly because it is so very tasty!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Anyone got a link for one of these dehydrators they sound interesting.
Please excuse my ignorance but am I correct in understanding that they dry fruit etc.

I'm interested as alternatives to purchased riding food products laced with sugar

Veganpower

Please excuse my ignorance but am I correct in understanding that they dry fruit etc.

I'm interested as alternatives to purchased riding food products laced with sugar

that sounds like a good idea. I know I'm new at this but I carried dates on my, long for me, ride.

Ian A

Über Member

This was my initial interest as well as making good food the kids can take to school. Most of the lunch box friendly stuff you can buy is junk in one form or another and there's only so much fruit you can eat.

We've got an Andrew James dehydrator. Looking at the new ones there is a premium one shaped as a rectangle for the same price with timer as well as temperature. It's a big unit. Everything I read has said temperature control is important for some foods as higher than a certain temperature has a negative effect. Ours has been an expensive white elephant so far due to no time but things are getting better so I'm keen to get it going properly. Still need to paint the stairs first. I like the idea of making things which need to dehydrate to finish on a Saturday and at the same time dehydrating things which are needed for ingredients for use on Sunday. The Excalibur is apparently the daddy but at that price it's not happening.

I should add for transparency/honesty I'm not vegan but am interested in good whole food and most of the raw vegan ideas I've seen are excellent. Just need to make it work around family time, work, training etc. I also believe you can get everything your body needs as a vegan if done correctly eating whole foods not junk (I'm looking at you quorn).

Ian A

Über Member
Probably worth pointing out if you just want ride snacks you can buy big bags of green or black raisins cheap from anywhere and golden sultanas don't cost much. Certainly much cheaper than buying the fruit and dehydrating yourself. Nuts are good too if you like them.

I picked up one of the more expensive ones, very cheaply off Ebay. I have a 5 drawer Exaclibur dehydrator which I paid a little over £100 for, but it took me the best part of 2 -3 months to find one going for a sensible price! Only the top 2 in the link below are worth keeping an eye on IMO and have just over a day to run each.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...&_nkw=excalibur+dehydrator&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Time wise - we run ours overnight, so I prepare what is needed during the day/evening and the following morning it is done, unless it is a raw bread recipe which takes longer. As a rule though I don't dehydrate fruit (often).... fruit leathers are something entirely different and much loved by everyone who has tried them and I make good use of wild harvests. My next one will be nettles - they are just starting to grow around here which shows how warm it is at the moment! But once they kick into full spring growth, I will have the dehydrator on almost every night.

not just fruit - you can dehydrate most thing in them including meats should you really want to (make your own Jerky so I am told).
I use mine for all sorts from drying excess herb from my garden, to drying nettles for leaf tea infusions, to making homemade fruit leathers from wild fruits (a good way of preserving the fruit without killing all of the vit c), to making raw breads, to proving bread or yeast etc. I could also use it to make homemade yoghurt in where it not for the fact I'm allergic to all dairy products!

Combi

I came to this discussion late, so please excuse if I duplicate information, but another good resource is nutritionfacts.org. My philosophy is, continue what I'm eating until there's incentive (e.g., compelling research in a reputable journal) to make a change. Hence I eat plants whenever possible. I never did like most meats (cow, pig, sheep) and usually preferred what chefs put on/in them (onions, tomatoes, peppers, olives, garlic) so I skip the middleman. :smile:

Of course, some of my aversion to pork and chicken comes from having lived in America, where the food industry has been deregulated to the point that even "healthy" meats like chicken may be dangerous to consumers:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002934313003963
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f8bb94-0f58-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html).

Ian A

Über Member
I came to this discussion late, so please excuse if I duplicate information, but another good resource is nutritionfacts.org. My philosophy is, continue what I'm eating until there's incentive (e.g., compelling research in a reputable journal) to make a change. Hence I eat plants whenever possible. I never did like most meats (cow, pig, sheep) and usually preferred what chefs put on/in them (onions, tomatoes, peppers, olives, garlic) so I skip the middleman. :smile:

Of course, some of my aversion to pork and chicken comes from having lived in America, where the food industry has been deregulated to the point that even "healthy" meats like chicken may be dangerous to consumers:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002934313003963
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...f8bb94-0f58-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html).

One of the reasons we have a lot of "vegan" meals is the cost of high quality meat and fish. We buy outdoor reared grass fed local meat but you pay for the quality. I also believe you don't need any where near the protein amounts regularly recommended and have been cutting down on meat and fish consumption. I wouldn't touch meat if I lived in America unless I could guarantee a good source.

Top Bottom