Vegan sausages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
But I didn't even mention I'd have used the on the vine, organic tomatoes from Waitrose as grown by Tristan and Titania's smallholding in the home counties. Honestly...
All of that went without saying. Obvs.

I think the "mock meat" trend is more down to being a product of marketing than anything else. And taking advantage of people's reliance on convenience. Really good vegetarian and vegan food is not that difficult to cook from scratch.

Some of the vegetarian / vegan meat products aren't half bad, but most are like eating overpriced wet cardboard. I've bought various on yellow sticker as I'm really open-minded when it comes to food, but the majority of the ones I've tried, I wouldn't have them again even if they paid me to take them away. I'd much rather have beans on toast.

Am a meat eater, but will cook whatever takes my fancy - doesn't matter whether it's got meat in or not. Last week it was a vegetable curry - which ended up being vegan, though it wasn't intentional. I just happened to have veg, pulses and creamed coconut that wanted using. This week it was vegetarian cannelloni with ricotta, walnuts and spinach. Tomorrow I'm cooking pulled ham hock in parsley sauce.

On the subject of cheap sausages, no, they're pretty *bleurgh*. But if it's dripping you're after... :blush:

Very true, apart from occasionally having veggie sausages and quorn "mince" my better half and I cook from scratch most of our meals.
Stir fries, curries etc are quite easy.

A crock pot is your friend here, especially for curries... Plus home made bean burgers and hummus are both so much nicer than anything you can buy - with the advantage that you can spice them up according to how the mood grabs you.

My fave combo of veggies etc for a curry is new tatties, aubergine, onions, green beans, chickpeas and broccoli. :hungry: Plus a can of tomatoes, a really good garam masala, chilli to taste, and either yoghurt or creamed coconut to finish.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've yet to eat a vegan sausage which tastes anything like meat. They just don't, and beyond the shape (and name) bear no similarity.
IIRC, a Sausage by legal definition; is a comminuted meat-product that is described as being 'Sausage-shaped'....

Adam4868

Guru
I’m sure you’re sure, but is it true for most vegans?
That they don't want it to taste of meat ? I'm sort of presuming,a Vegan poster could probably tell us though.I wouldn't of thought a vegi or vegan would want a meat substitute to actually ''taste" of meat though.Maybe they do ?

That they don't want it to taste of meat ? I'm sort of presuming,a Vegan poster could probably tell us though.I wouldn't of thought a vegi or vegan would want a meat substitute to actually ''taste" of meat though.Maybe they do ?
I have no idea as I’m not vegan. I’d also not assume I’d know what they would want nor would I assume the thousands of vegans want the same thing.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I suspect that the contents as, say, a patty, fried would have been quite nice. But masquerading as a sausage leads to inevitable sausage comparisons
Sausages are sausages as it is a convenient way of packing the meat for easy transport and cooking, just like the veggie version. Perhaps you need to sack the chef.

Top Bottom