Vegan terrorism at it’s worst.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely veganism is much more expensive than not being a vegan? Those alternative foods and drinks are so expensive compared to other stuff,when i've seen it in shops. I just couldn't live off what there is on offer to vegans, or pay the inflated food prices. One of the reasons i gave up meat was because it became too expensive. Being vegetarian is cheaper than eating meat,but being a vegan is more expensive than being a carnivore..am i right?
Since you have asked the question, Accy, you are massively wrong. It's easily done to have a very healthy, nutritious, balanced and varied vegan diet at very low cost. For example, regions in southern India are noted for high quality nutritious fayre and at extremely low cost.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Vegans cause animals to die of starvation because they eat so many plants that there aren't enough left for the animals

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Wine gums are a right puzzle anyway. They never taste of the wine that's embossed on them. The other day i had one claiming to be cognac, which isn't even wine. It's political correctness gone made. Either that or health and safety.
I never read the 'label'. I pop one in with my eyes closed, and try to guess the colour. I check in the vanity mirror when I'm driving...

FishFright

More wheels than sense
But like many stereotypes it has a grain of truth.

Every ParkRun you go to there’ll be a group of Vegan Runners. Why they feel they have to have their own running club, Lord knows...

I may get a ‘Gay Omnivorous Drinker’ shirt made up.

I see what you did there lol

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I think any diet badly done will result in poor health. Whether you are an omnivore, vegetarian or vegan (my favourite is "hey chocolate's vegetarian!"). I think any diet comprizing meat*, meat and veg, just veg and dairy or just plain vegan products can be healthy if done properly.

*I wouldn't be too sure about a just meat diet, but I think the innuit seem to do OK, but I wonder if they have any genetic advantage with this and I'm guessing may not be recommended for most humankind!

Since you have asked the question, Accy, you are massively wrong. It's easily done to have a very healthy, nutritious, balanced and varied vegan diet at very low cost. For example, regions in southern India are noted for high quality nutritious fayre and at extremely low cost.
I thought that (vegan) Jack Monroe's take on veganism, poverty and choices was quite an interesting one.
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/05/02/the-only-way-is-ethics/
If people cook my recipes on a regular basis, they will be inadvertently cooking a mostly vegan diet. I use applesauce in place of eggs in my baking and pancakes. Suggest plant based milks where they are cheaply available. But there is a limit as to what is affordable, when you are living on benefits, or off food bank parcels, or on an insecure income, and fairweather veganism is still making a dent in the meat and dairy industries, even if it doesn’t come with all the vegan gold stars and plantbased brownie points. [...] I can make vegan recipes very cheaply, but I can’t make all of my cheap recipes vegan, and I suggest that people who take issue with that would be better off donating Nooch and Sosmix and other vegan staples to their local foodbank, than shouting at poor people on the internet for daring to give their children chicken nuggets and ham sandwiches.
Lentils and beans and so on are indeed commonly available and dirt cheap, especially when bulk bought. The skills and knowledge to turn them into family favourites are less common, and the time and equipment and gas for the cooker are all other things that someone might well be short of. Having choices about food I believe, as Jack Monroe puts it, a bit of a privilege.
Poverty diets are not a choice. A diet lacking in meat and dairy products for wont of the finances, resources and availability of them, is not the same, not remotely the same, as having access to these products and choosing not to use them.

[QUOTE 5249007, member: 9609"]my brothers who lives in southern germany is Vegan and he has been known to visit me on his push bike I think 8 days for the 1000 mile is record - so there is certainly no lack of energy in being Vegan.[/QUOTE]

Being Vegan is south Germany is tough. He has my respect.

Not drinking or watching football is tough enough...

[QUOTE 5249108, member: 10119"]Having choices about food I believe, as Jack Monroe puts it, a bit of a privilege.[/QUOTE]

During the last few years I've been getting training so our budget was pretty meagre for just about anything. For this time I was officially Freegan: I'd eat anything I could get, especially if it was free.

We're finally coming to the end of this time, I graduated last month and just have my probationary year now, so we're going to be able to plan and make choices again...

Top Bottom