Vegetarian diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've never noticed a problem with protein - quorn(curry as i had for tea) or other micro-protein sources are fine

the only downside is my bmi is currently over 25 & it's not due to muscle...

just eat sensibly - good article abut diet for cycling in supplement in C+

to quote a bit '... it may dissapoint you to learn there are no great secrets to losing fat ... taking in less than you are expending'

or eat less - move more :bicycle:

Peteaud

Veteran
The river cottage veg book is pretty good, although i am no veggie, but as part of a healthier diet i have tried some of the receipes and i have to say not bad.

I could give up all meat apart from bacon sarnies.

Garz

Squat Member
To try and shed some pounds (and hopefully save some with the shopping) my wife has persuaded me to join her in a new years resolution to not eat meat for the whole of January. I commute every day and am wondering if it will have an effect on my energy levels/recovery (I know that many cyclists must be vegetarians and cycle happily but just need help with the transition!!!!). Any advice???
Russ

Me and the wife done this for two weeks, it was bloody hard! Some die-hards will disagree but I found it quite tough generally as the 'substitute' foods such as cheese where really fatty anyway so kind of nullify the healthy aspect they portray.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Me and the wife done this for two weeks, it was bloody hard! Some die-hards will disagree but I found it quite tough generally as the 'substitute' foods such as cheese where really fatty anyway so kind of nullify the healthy aspect they portray.
For the last year we've been trying (and mostly succeeding) to have on average 1 meat-free day a week. We're now aim for 2 meat-free days per week. It's not so hard compared to jumping into 2 straight weeks! Once you're into pulses and butternut squashes it all becomes much easier. We've really extended the range of foodstuffs we regularly eat and some very tasty recipes!
tonight was a Spring Vegetable casserole, a Waitrose recipe card job, Leeks, Swede, Turnip, Spring Greens, Borlotti beans, stock, garlic, spring greens and some Basil pesto. serve with Garlic Bread - MMmmmmm

Garz

Squat Member
For the last year we've been trying (and mostly succeeding) to have on average 1 meat-free day a week. We're now aim for 2 meat-free days per week. It's not so hard compared to jumping into 2 straight weeks! Once you're into pulses and butternut squashes it all becomes much easier. We've really extended the range of foodstuffs we regularly eat and some very tasty recipes!
tonight was a Spring Vegetable casserole, a Waitrose recipe card job, Leeks, Swede, Turnip, Spring Greens, Borlotti beans, stock, garlic, spring greens and some Basil pesto. serve with Garlic Bread - MMmmmmm

Sounds very tasty and a better way to break into a veggie diet FF. However the OP says he is looking at doing a whole month! ;)

bornagainst

Über Member
I've never had any problems with being a vegetarian and cycling (commuting 25m a day) and good luck with working out some new meals! Keeping a very close eye on the food and cycling more helped me drop 2.5 stone in 2 years (and keep it off).

mistral

Guru
I don’t eat meat, haven’t done so for over 30 years, I do eat fish, but not that much. I’ve never had a problem with anaemia, stamina or strength. I do a daily commute of 16 miles each way, clocked up 8000+ miles last year, give blood regularly and am rarely ill.

It would seem my diet is balanced and works for me.

I’m no expert, but I suggest making a radical change to ones diet, even for a relatively short period may be unpredictable and lead to difficulties while your system gets used to it.

Danny

Legendary Member
I can't see why giving up meat for a month would necessarily lead to anyone losing weight? Better to look at levels of sugars, carbs, alcohol, and, most importantly, activity/exercise. But I also can't see why anyone on a balanced meat-free diet would worry about energy levels and general health. Aperitif is a vegetarian - IRMC :whistle: ;)
Speaking as a vegetarian I have to agree. There are lots of good reasons for being vegetarian - or at least eating much less meat - but weight loss is not one of them.

One of the most obese people I know is vegan - he does no exercise and lives mainly on chips.

swampyseifer

I've always mostly assumed that vegetarianism, and veganism, is about a stance on the usage of animals simply for their meat and other produce and the treatment of the animals during this process...battery-farm eggs being an example most people know of.

My father has been all into "the truth behind" for many many years, he has some stories that are really not nice to listen to.

At least for me its never really been about eating healthier...

yello

...and there are folk who source their meat and animal produce from ethical or humane suppliers etc (as much as possible). Not that I am one.

As all would no doubt be aware, there are many reasons for peoples vegetarianism. I wouldn't want to categorise reasons or suggest what might be the main one but I tend to agree with swampyseifer's assumptions above.

I don't eat a lot of meat (maybe once a fortnight, and red meat rarely - ho ho), but I'm perfectly aware that it can be part of a healthy diet. It's a valuable protein source for starters - and mains (:blush: ) . My reason is weird; I simply don't like the look of it and often not the taste either!

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I was vegetarian for about 10 years, I raced on a vagetarian diet knocking out 250 to 400 miles per week. So it does not do any harm. Don't forget eggs are a good source of complete proteins. I don't think I could have been vegan.

Top Bottom