Vegetarian diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fresh healthy food is your friend (here I go again, sorry :rolleyes: ). It's worked for myself and many others I know. I'd agree with the post above that said there are many reasons you may choose to be a vegetarian but weight loss should not be one of them. Less processed carbs is the first starting point as well as hydrogenated and trans fats. Go for fresh fish, meat, many varied types of vegetables and have the fruits and other carbs you have around training. Feel free to shoot me down :hello:

I was vegetarian for about 10 years, I raced on a vagetarian diet knocking out 250 to 400 miles per week. So it does not do any harm. Don't forget eggs are a good source of complete proteins. I don't think I could have been vegan.

Vegetarianism will certainly do you no harm when done correctly (by this I mean eating a full range of necessary nutrition rather than chips with chips. I would never argue vegetarianism is unhealthy. Scott User10571, arguably one of the worlds greatest ultra distance runners, is vegan.

Garz

Squat Member
:eek:
Note to self, must eat more greens ....

Agree FF. Guilty myself.

Crankarm

Guru
By oomph I meant more protien per ounce of meat, no veg can match it. The egg is a great source of protien in the egg white, but its not really veggy is it? I dont know the names but there are different types of veggy arent there? some would happily eat an egg, while others wouldnt?

I recently met a veggie/vegan who refused to wear down jackets. Far out ............

If you are serious about losing weight then cut out the carbs and do some proper exercise. Trouble is veggie/vegan diets contain a lot of carbs that's why there are so many fat anaemic veggies.

I was veggie for about 11 years. Gave up about 3 - 4 years ago and HAVEN'T looked back as it was placing severe limitations on my very active lifestyle. I was getting too many injuries and life had become miserable, veggie miserable. So I thought stuff this and started eating meat again. I feel so much better, healthier and fitter. Still don't eat red meat such as beef though.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've just had half a 'Simon Howie' vegetarian haggis(with mushy peas). It is/was very nice!:hungry: I wouldn't have known it was 'veggie'. I ate it knowing i wasn't eating sheep lung and other awful offal!xx(
Holy resurrected thread! Accy 😁 previous post was 2012.

We had a Macsweens veggie haggis for Burns night and enjoyed it so much that it’s replaced our usual nut roast.
veggie for 56 years and counting with many years of Ultra running

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have grown up a vegetarian and know no different. 57 now and never had a weight issue. I can eat my own weight in anything. Special veggie foods that look like meat are an odd thing though. Have tried a few but meh. Having said that Linda McCartney veggie burgers are very nice.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have grown up a vegetarian and know no different. 57 now and never had a weight issue. I can eat my own weight in anything. Special veggie foods that look like meat are an odd thing though. Have tried a few but meh. Having said that Linda McCartney veggie burgers are very nice.
I do like the Linda McCartney veggie burgers, one of the best I’ve tried. Several years ago I spent seven months on a Soya free, gluten free, vegan diet while undergoing a series of medical investigations for chronic anaemia. Once the root cause was finally established I reintroduced the different food groups one at a time over a period of a couple of months to see what, if any, the effects on my body were.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just had half a 'Simon Howie' vegetarian haggis(with mushy peas). It is/was very nice!:hungry: I wouldn't have known it was 'veggie'. I ate it knowing i wasn't eating sheep lung and other awful offal!xx(
Holy resurrected thread! Accy 😁 previous post was 2012.

We had a Macsweens veggie haggis for Burns night and enjoyed it so much that it’s replaced our usual nut roast.
veggie for 56 years and counting with many years of Ultra running

Lidl sell vegetarian haggis ready meals just before Burns Night. The haggis tastes like the original, probably because they're both mainly oatmeal.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Lidl sell vegetarian haggis ready meals just before Burns Night. The haggis tastes like the original, probably because they're both mainly oatmeal.
We’d tried the Lidl one but it was too much like eating stuffing mix. The Macsweens was very good indeed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I do like the Linda McCartney veggie burgers, one of the best I’ve tried. Several years ago I spent seven months on a Soya free, gluten free, vegan diet while undergoing a series of medical investigations for chronic anaemia. Once the root cause was finally established I reintroduced the different food groups one at a time over a period of a couple of months to see what, if any, the effects on my body were.
And were there any?

Fab Foodie

Well, am certainly eating more veg than 2012!
I did Veganuary, it was OK, you just have to think a little bit more but with so many decent replacements about it has become pretty easy. Problem for me is that I am the Chef and have to feed a fussy belligerent carnivore as well, otherwise I'd certainly be very flexitarian....

Debade

Über Member
Having been a pescotarian, (eat fish), I do not think leaving meat out of your diet is a problem. I added fish since no one knew what to serve at catered business meetings. I really did not eat much.

One thing I am trying now is myfitnesspal app. I track my meals and exercise. It does a couple of things for me. It allows me to see my calorie count. But, it also helps with my balance my consumption from salt, sugars, protein, fat, and carbs. As you move to a new diet, I think this could be helpful. It is fairly easy to use and gets easier since the foods are eat are often the same and easy to reference on the app.

Fab Foodie

By the way, anyone tried these?

1613590104924.png

Available in Iceland...the store that is, not the small Island full of geezers....

Tenkaykev

Guru
And were there any?
First thing I reintroduced was Soy as I make my porridge with it and it’s in quite a few veggie burgers etc. There was no noticeable effect.
I then reintroduced gluten, I love my bread and enjoy doing a bit of basic baking. A slight bloaty feeling was all that I noticed. Lastly I reintroduced dairy in the form of cheese, I’m not a milk drinker but like a bit of extra mature cheddar, and am addicted to Halloumi 😊
There was a noticeable effect, my tummy initially didn’t like it. The skin on my face felt more greasy/ oily, but the strange thing was the awareness that there was a very faint odour coming off me, if i sniffed my arm for example, I could smell it, that wasn’t noticeable any more after a few days.

Top Bottom