Vegetarian diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
By the way, anyone tried these?

View attachment 574401

Available in Iceland...the store that is, not the small Island full of geezers....
I've generally been quite skeptical of the 'veggy products pretending to be meat' genre but we have Naked Glory sausages and meatballs and they're really tasty. I'm a bit wary of processed meat like you'd find in sausages anyway, and my wife doesn't get on with the nitrites so they're actually a really good alternative for us. The kids eat them too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've generally been quite skeptical of the 'veggy products pretending to be meat' genre but we have Naked Glory sausages and meatballs and they're really tasty. I'm a bit wary of processed meat like you'd find in sausages anyway, and my wife doesn't get on with the nitrites so they're actually a really good alternative for us. The kids eat them too.
We’ve found Bowyers sausages to be excellent, and we’ve tried shed loads of various brands / ingredients over the years. They make a great sausage sarnie with doorstep slices of white bread and brown sauce.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not the "chicken" ones, but the mushroom steaks from the same company taste very mushroomy - I'll buy them again.
These ones?
1613652169402.png

I have issues with a mushroom steak being described as 'plant-based'.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I guess that a mushroom is 'plant-based' in the way that a beef steak is, a cow being a biological machine for turning grass into meat, and a mushroom being a biological machine for turning decaying vegetation into something even more disgusting.

Are there really people that eat only plants, and not mushrooms/fungi??

matth411

Veteran
I recently went vegan for veganuary as my partner has been vegan/vegetarian her whole life. It's definitely stuck, and I am now completely plant based. I was being a flexitarian beforehand only eating meat and dairy when I wasn't with her. A weekend vegan if you wish.

Have had more energy, better sleep, more mental clarity, more "regular" digestive system, and I'm happier. Having read through this whole thread it makes me laugh that 12 months ago I was anti vegan seeing it as restricting and "where do you get your protein though" yet here I am, a leaner, healthier, less sluggish person! It was actually a really easy switch.

Epic mature grated cheese is amazing, and 99% of birdseye green cuisine is too. We mainly cook from scratch now and limit I've tried so many different foods that I never thought I would, plantains for example.

Easiest way to have a decent vegan meal? Get all your veg, chop it up, chuck in the oven with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, rosemary, and a bit of oil. Absolutely amazing.

Also, only draw backs is the b12 deficiency and lack of decent chocolate. A supplement and a vego bar solves both though

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I recently went vegan for veganuary as my partner has been vegan/vegetarian her whole life. It's definitely stuck, and I am now completely plant based. I was being a flexitarian beforehand only eating meat and dairy when I wasn't with her. A weekend vegan if you wish.

Have had more energy, better sleep, more mental clarity, more "regular" digestive system, and I'm happier. Having read through this whole thread it makes me laugh that 12 months ago I was anti vegan seeing it as restricting and "where do you get your protein though" yet here I am, a leaner, healthier, less sluggish person! It was actually a really easy switch.

Epic mature grated cheese is amazing, and 99% of birdseye green cuisine is too. We mainly cook from scratch now and limit I've tried so many different foods that I never thought I would, plantains for example.

Easiest way to have a decent vegan meal? Get all your veg, chop it up, chuck in the oven with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, rosemary, and a bit of oil. Absolutely amazing.

Also, only draw backs is the b12 deficiency and lack of decent chocolate. A supplement and a vego bar solves both though
Did you try the Birds-Eye 'Chicken' products out of interest?
How did you find them?
Just asking for a friend....:whistle:

From a Nutrition view I would also ensure you are getting a good source of Iodine in your Vegan diet too (Seaweed as condiment is an obvious addition).

matth411

Veteran
Did you try the Birds-Eye 'Chicken' products out of interest?
How did you find them?
Just asking for a friend....:whistle:

From a Nutrition view I would also ensure you are getting a good source of Iodine in your Vegan diet too (Seaweed as condiment is an obvious addition).

Have mainly tried to stick to fresh and not over processed foods, but I'm working my way through the vegan junk food slowly. Hadn't thought of the iodine, I'm sure the other half has got me eating stuff with it 😂

Earlier this year my partner and I moved to a house outside of the city and we set up a weekly delivery of a veggie box and a fruit box from an organic farm nearby.

I've never eaten so much fruit and veg, firstly because we need to eat it all before the next delivery, but immediately our attitude towards veggie and fruit changed so much because all this seasonal organic produce is so much better and fresher than what we used to buy at the supermarket.

We still eat meat, but less often and definitely veggies are now the star of every meal.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Earlier this year my partner and I moved to a house outside of the city and we set up a weekly delivery of a veggie box and a fruit box from an organic farm nearby.

I've never eaten so much fruit and veg, firstly because we need to eat it all before the next delivery, but immediately our attitude towards veggie and fruit changed so much because all this seasonal organic produce is so much better and fresher than what we used to buy at the supermarket.

We still eat meat, but less often and definitely veggies are now the star of every meal.
Excellent. I married a vegetarian, fully in the knowledge that it would have a negative impact on my meat consumption. However the biggest change in my diet came from having a veg box delivered. There are so many different vegetables available, most of which you won't find in the supermarket or even local market / green grocers. Made our meals so much more varied, although we did still rely on a number of dishes that are very flexible on content (root veg crumble, roasted veg, etc). Pea shoots, sprout tops, various squashes, kale and pattypans all entered my cullinary volcabulary.

Neither of us are keen on meat replacement food, and happy about getting the full set of nutrients due to excessive cheese consumption.

Top Bottom