Vegetarian diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
There is no such thing as "oomph" in animal protein. I have been vegetarian for over 30 years and get all the "oomph" I need from dairy and vegetable protein.

However whether the OP goes vegetarian or not he will still need to eat a sensible diet if he wants to loose weight. There are, sadly, plenty of obese vegetarians about.

There are plenty of good vegetarian cookbooks you can consult, but you could start with pasta or egg dishes. Also try eating bananas or dried fruit with nuts, instead of chocolate, if you need an energy boost. Similarly try dilute fruit juice instead of sugar filled energy drinks.
By oomph I meant more protien per ounce of meat, no veg can match it. The egg is a great source of protien in the egg white, but its not really veggy is it? I dont know the names but there are different types of veggy arent there? some would happily eat an egg, while others wouldnt?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Not sure I understand. I am not saying that you need to eat animal anything. By eating the right combination of vegetables / pulses you can get the complete protein makeup that you need without eating anything animal based.
I agree with this and for those that need iron, you can always take a multi - vit with iron in it. I think I'll try and become veggie in Jan, I gave it up for the whole of November and didn't find it too much of a problem, then xmas.....

col

Legendary Member
I agree with this and for those that need iron, you can always take a multi - vit with iron in it. I think I'll try and become veggie in Jan, I gave it up for the whole of November and didn't find it too much of a problem, then xmas.....
Bite me tongue bite me tongue:thumbsup:

Dan_h

Ah it seems Iv missunderstood what you said? I thought you meant there were animal additives for protein. I agree about getting plenty of protein from veg sources, but it just doesnt have the oomph that animal protein has. There are not many veggy champion athletes, unless Iv missed them? But Im sure they would make a big deal of the fact that they are a veggy if there were.

"These pro cyclists have all been veggie at some point in their career: Sean Yates, Shane Sutton, Levi Leipheimer, Robert Millar, Maarten Tjallingii, Dave Zabriskie and Mark Cavendish."

Taken from this page... http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/nutrition-do-cycling-and-vegetarianism-mix-29469/

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You don't need to as such. There are nine amino acids that make up proteins. These are all found in a complete protein that you usually get from animals. vegetable protein is usually incomplete and does not contain all 9 amino acids. However by combining different sources of vegetable protein you can get all 9 amino acids into your diet, giving the same effect as eating animal protein.
Correction: There are 22 standard Amino acids in proteins of which 9 are essential.
Whilst meat is usually a better source of the complete range (especially the 9 essentials) it doesn't mean that thsy cannot be obtined from plant sources. You just need to ensure a varied consumption.
There is a wide spectrum of vegetarianism too all the way to vegans which need to obtain Vitamin B12 from elsewhere.

You need animal protien to maintain strength, although protein is available in other forms, its not the best choice for long term I think.

Sorry - but wrong. Afik, protein from animal sources is more likely to be "complete" - kinda in the balance we need?

Whereas vegetable proteins are incomplete/out of balance ......... unless you combine them. Beans on toast - complete protein 'cos it's beans and grains (aye, and there's plenty of veggie delights that are based on beans and grains!).

col

Legendary Member
Sorry - but wrong. Afik, protein from animal sources is more likely to be "complete" - kinda in the balance we need?

Whereas vegetable proteins are incomplete/out of balance ......... unless you combine them. Beans on toast - complete protein 'cos it's beans and grains (aye, and there's plenty of veggie delights that are based on beans and grains!).
My mistake.

Danny

Legendary Member
By oomph I meant more protien per ounce of meat, no veg can match it. The egg is a great source of protien in the egg white, but its not really veggy is it? I dont know the names but there are different types of veggy arent there? some would happily eat an egg, while others wouldnt?
Most people in the West have far more protein in their diet than they actually need so most people really do not need to worry about about what the relative amounts of protein per ounce are of different foods. Unless RussLunn is commuting huge distances each day he really doesn't need to worry that he will, perhaps, be taking in a little less protein in his diet.

Vegetarians generally eat dairy products and eggs so have no problem getting enough protein. Vegans in contrast will not eat any animal products and do have to think more carefully about their diet, but even so there are plenty of good sources of vegetable protein.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have also said that part of the plan is to try and open our eyes to different meal plans etc as at the moment most meals are based around meat of some kind. After the month I'm kinda hoping to have a wide variety of dishes that work for me and then incorporate meat into some of them. One kind of niggly thing is that I don't eat fish or eggs and a lot of the recipes I've found have these as their main constituents. Will keep the 'iron' problem in mind when planning meals and guess I've just got to think a little bit more about making sure that we get everything we need. It's quite a big change in thinking as all I've ever really done is make what I fancy at the time...hence the bulging waistline I guess!!!

Danny

Legendary Member
If you eat plenty of fresh green veg you should not have a problem with iron - and if you can substitute veg for fatty foods this should also help with the weight loss.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Congratulations on your choice. I'm sure I've read studies that show large red meat consumption increases risk of cancer (or that was probably a Daily Mail article).
Went vegetarian by proxy when I got married 7 years ago. We eat more meat than is necessary in the West, and becoming at least a lower meat consumer will make you more healthy and less likely to be obese.
I'd suggest getting a veg box with seasonal produce, as it encourages you to experiment with your cooking, and makes sure that you get a good variety of vegetables.
However it does make you despair when you go into a restaurant and the only thing on offer vegetarian-wise is a mushroom risotto. Again. And you think "I could have done better myself".

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Bit far RussLunn as you're in Northants but I'm not a veggie but do love all types of food - as a treat it might be worth getting down to Brighton to Terre a Terre - fantastic food and the meat is not missed at all- not a cheap meal but very unusual and tasty things to be had. I've heard about other interesting veggie places but have no idea about Northants!

It does make you think about food differently if you take the meat out- good luck!

Danny

Legendary Member
Thanks BrumJim...am not looking forward to the 'going out to eat' thing!!!
Again don't be put off - there are plenty of places that now have imaginative vegetarian options. Most Italian restaurants will have a good choice as will many gastro pubs. Thai, Indian and medetarian restaurants are also a good bet, but be careful of the high fat content in much of what passes for Indian cooking in this country.

If somewhere just offers mushroom risotto I'd give it a miss on principle.

swampyseifer

I wouldnt worry about all this nonsense you'll hear about vegetarian diets "not being as healthy for you" or "lacking in whatever" or something.

I've been vegetarian since birth (nearly 29 years ago) and I'm 6'2 (so no stunted growth problems like I used to hear vege's suffered from). 3 months ago I had a complete health check before joining a gym and I had perfect heart rate and cholesterol levels. I've never had any problems from iron (or any other vitamin) deficiancies either.

As some of you will know, I am somewhat on the large size as well...so dont let people make you think that all vegetarians are skinny, malnurished salad-eaters!

However, I personally dont think that eating a healthy balanced vegetarian diet is anymore likely to loose you weight than a healthy balanced diet that includes meat. In fact my wife has lost 3 stone in the last 14 weeks and I've lost around 5 stone in the last year...all we've been doing is eating less and cutting out the processed food!

Top Bottom