Vegetarian + weeks off bike = knackered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dub-no-bass

I've had a rotten cold for the last few weeks, and I don't ride when it's icy, so the upshot is, I've barely been on my bike since I gave up eating animals at New Year.

I'm back on the bike this week, and my first commute in was *very* tough. I do 11 miles each way, up and down a few hills and across the centre of London, so it's very much stop-start. The hills are particularly tough.

I am not sure if my lack of fitness is down to any of the following individually, or a combination:
-It was a *really* bad cold, I was off work for a week with it and I've only taken about 10 sick days in my life
-Not having cycled regularly for months, my general fitness will have dropped (but I have been skating and swimming regularly instead, so not sure it's this)
-Maybe my change of diet is now starting to show itself, and one way or another I am not getting enough nutrients, so there's just not the right fuel in the engine

I'm determined to keep at it and cycle as much as possible to get my fitness back up, but in case it's the diet, any advice on what's good to eat for 2 hours daily cycling at a reasonable pace, before and after?

I've started taking cod liver oil. glucosamine, chondroitin and multivitamins (including iron). I think my protein intake has been fine but I haven't been eating much in the way of green leafy veg, so my iron could be a bit low (but I eat plenty of cereals and pulses).

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I believe vegetarianism is fine for fuel. Apparently a lot of the early Land's End to John O' Groats record holders. It's only a problem if you're trying to recover from injury. Some of my club mates from my running club have said they were advised by physios to eat some chicken or something when they've had difficulty recovering from a long-standing injury.

I expect you're knackered because, as you say, it's a tough commute, you've been ill, and you've not been doing much exercise recently.

normgow

Guru
A bowl of porridge before setting out is a good idea, then when you get home muesli in plain yoghurt with some cut up dried fruit e.g. prunes, figs, apricots. You could prepare this before setting out so that the muesli and fruit have softened.
After a severe cold it is best not to go like a bull at a gate, just take things a bit steadily until you're back on song.
Melanie once sang "I don't eat animals and they don't eat me".

It's not down to vegetarianism.

My getting back into cycling was prompted last year by a temporary swittch to an 80% raw vegan diet. That kick-started me into walking more at weekends, then buying a bike so that I could get to work and back quicker than walking, so that I had time to go tackle a hill in the peaks after work.

It actually gave me MORE energy, and I'm working on going back to a more raw-based diet again to get that "kick"

Involved a LOT of green leafy veg, and did actually temporarily turn my fingers carotene-orange!! Carbs could be an issue for longer rides so not necessarily recommending raw, just saying that with attention to diet (1) vegetarian should be fine and (2) done right, you shouldn't need all those supplements. Though many dried fruits as suggested above are good sources.

(Technically you can't be vegetarian with cod liver oil anyway!!)

bottombracket

carbs, carbs, carbs!
Porridge and/or lots of toast for brekkie.
A sandwich when you get to work.
Don't skip lunch.
Have a carb-rich snack late afternoon and another when you get home.
You'll be right as rain - innit!

normgow

Guru
Carbohydrates are important for energy but don't forget protein and essential fats plus necessary minerals and vitamins. If a vegetarian diet doesn't include these you won't be doing yourself any favours.
Also ask yourself why you are a vegetarian. Is it because you don't like the thought of slaughtering animals or just feel that it is healthier not to eat meat?
Dairy products are a good source of protein but these also cause the slaughter of animals.
If you have nothing against eating fish herring, sardines, mackerel etc. are a fine source of protein and polyunsaturated fat .

normgow said:
If a vegetarian diet doesn't include these you won't be doing yourself any favours.

A vegetarian diet can include these. Just the same as a poor omnivorous diet might not. As a vegetarian, there's no such thing as "A vegetarian diet", only "Your vegetarian diet"

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
dub-no-bass said:
I've had a rotten cold for the last few weeks, and I don't ride when it's icy, so the upshot is, I've barely been on my bike since I gave up eating animals at New Year.

I'm back on the bike this week, and my first commute in was *very* tough. I do 11 miles each way, up and down a few hills and across the centre of London, so it's very much stop-start. The hills are particularly tough.

I am not sure if my lack of fitness is down to any of the following individually, or a combination:
-It was a *really* bad cold, I was off work for a week with it and I've only taken about 10 sick days in my life
-Not having cycled regularly for months, my general fitness will have dropped (but I have been skating and swimming regularly instead, so not sure it's this)
-Maybe my change of diet is now starting to show itself, and one way or another I am not getting enough nutrients, so there's just not the right fuel in the engine

I'm determined to keep at it and cycle as much as possible to get my fitness back up, but in case it's the diet, any advice on what's good to eat for 2 hours daily cycling at a reasonable pace, before and after?

I've started taking cod liver oil. glucosamine, chondroitin and multivitamins (including iron). I think my protein intake has been fine but I haven't been eating much in the way of green leafy veg, so my iron could be a bit low (but I eat plenty of cereals and pulses).

:biggrin:xx(!

OP
OP
dub-no-bass

dub-no-bass

normgow said:
Also ask yourself why you are a vegetarian. Is it because you don't like the thought of slaughtering animals or just feel that it is healthier not to eat meat?
Dairy products are a good source of protein but these also cause the slaughter of animals..
It's partly the slaughter but also the ways animals are reared intensively for meat, and the disease-ridden and miserable lives they lead. I didn't think a jump from omnivore to vegan was likely to be successful, so I am starting by switching to vegetarianism and see how I go from there.
normgow said:
If you have nothing against eating fish herring, sardines, mackerel etc. are a fine source of protein and polyunsaturated fat .
I don't eat fish because they're also animals, and are being fished into extinction (along with their more numerous inedible brethren who are cast back into the sea dead), and anyway, I don't like fish :tongue:

I fully appreciate the hypocrisy of taking cod liver oil capsules and will switch to vegetable-based sources of omega 3s and 6s at some point, probably when I've finished this current pot (because binning them would be an even bigger waste of dead cod at this point).

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Here's a couple of sites that may be useful for you. Some good recipes and info on there. I found that when I went vegetarian in 1999 I didn't feel so 'sluggish' and that it was much easier to regulate weight and what I eat. (Have you tried Cauldron marinated tofu? It's yum!)

I did try going vegan for about 6 months but I didn't have the discipline to stick to it. That's more of a lifestyle choice, whereas vegetarianism is more of a diet choice. However, both choices mean that you think more about what you eat and I find that I can create some wonderful dishes.

http://www.vrg.org/index.htm
http://www.vegforlife.org/eats.htm

Top Bottom