Vehicles you fear ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any vehicle within Bradford Metropolitan District borders.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Don't know if anyone else has said this, but tractors with trailers. They're usually on narrow roads, squeeze alongside to overtake and often cut acoss before the trailer has completely gone past. And they're noisy. And you spend the next five minutes in diesel fumes.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not wishing to stereotype* but when I lived in the Big Smoke, I found young black women driving alone particularly dangerous to cycling-kind... invariably on a mobile, angry as hell and willing to kill you or call you gay, or even both.

*one of my best friends is, in fact, a young black woman :sad:

Dangerous vehicles

I always wait untill the mums have taken their kids to school, before I go for my morning run. Before that, and it's dangerous.
Also brake when I see a big lorry or coach in my mirror overtaking me, better to slow down than get clipped by the rear end of one of these.
When I come to an island in the middle of the road, I ride further out to stop cars from squeezing me in, untill I'm passed it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Uh huh, dumper trucks. There's always building work on somewhere and I generally meet a couple of these daily, usually on the narrow, national speed limit applies, bit of my commute. If it's safe I just pull off the road and let them go by now. Don't usually do it for any other vehicles, beside articulated trucks- although I hardly ever meet those except on the industrial estate close to work. And they don't need to overtake me there (queues). Had a dumper truck overtake just when I was about to enter a mini roundabout once. Whoa!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Skip lorrys and cement mixers.

T x

noggin

X5- BTW noticed how many have x or 5 in number plate- plonkers
Porche Cayenne- built like proverbial shithouse and scare me the size/weight of them
Toyota landcruiser- whay are there vehicles that big?
Audi Q7 or some such model

Ben

Living two miles down a single lane road in any of three directions it's not so much the vehicle for me as the way some drivers think that roaring towards you at 40mph+ is OK. If they're coming from behind they have to slow down and I either wobble off into the verge or stop to let them past, but oncoming drivers often seem to think that speeding past with exactly three inches leeway is fine. Yes it's (evidently) just possible but it feels really scary! I would also say that the typical driver who does this is a middle-aged male.

bianchi1

Guru
Around here there is a " land rover experience " where you have the chance to drive a brand new Discovery around the woods. Its when they move onto the roads and give them some stick around the back lanes of the malvern hills that they become a danger. Loads of bank managers on a corporate fun day out in a massive vehicle they have only driven once, with 3 mates in the back egging them on is what i tend to see. They are always silver Discoverys with a land rover experience sticker on the door, and tend to be going about 70 mph.
I was thinking of starting a " scared shtiless on your bike experience " where i get to drive at them leaving them 1 foot of space. See if they like that team bonding.
In their defence its only about 7 out of 10 that get to close! the others are fine.

Top Bottom