Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I might mention that Veloviewer doesnt seem to have availability in the States. If you go through Google Play, it wont find it, but if you go to Google or some other search engine, it will let you back door into it via Strava.

bruce1530

Guru
It’s addictive, this veloviewer tiles thing....

I’ve picked up most of the tiles near home. Living on the coast, there’s limited number of directions I can go without getting wet...

But tonight I noticed that there was an unchecked tile about 5 miles north. Mostly over the sea, but one corner of it was on land. And google maps said there was a path....

Headed along the coast road. Couldn’t see how to get onto the path without crossing the sand. Headed further along the road, to check out the other end of the path, but it didn’t seem to exist. Just lots of big houses with no access through to the beach.

Back to the first place. It’s just getting dark. Me and the bike crossing the sand, down to the water’s edge where the sand is more solid. Back on the bike, along the water’s edge for a quarter of a mile or so, then another walk for a few yards to make sure the square was definitely ticked off.

Then retraced my steps - and back home.

I’m probably mad.

There are also 3 squares on a peninsula just south of where I live. Huge area, fenced off (former explosives factory) and I’ve never been able to get access.....

13 rider

Guru

I’ve picked up most of the tiles near home. Living on the coast, there’s limited number of directions I can go without getting wet...

But tonight I noticed that there was an unchecked tile about 5 miles north. Mostly over the sea, but one corner of it was on land. And google maps said there was a path....

Headed along the coast road. Couldn’t see how to get onto the path without crossing the sand. Headed further along the road, to check out the other end of the path, but it didn’t seem to exist. Just lots of big houses with no access through to the beach.

Back to the first place. It’s just getting dark. Me and the bike crossing the sand, down to the water’s edge where the sand is more solid. Back on the bike, along the water’s edge for a quarter of a mile or so, then another walk for a few yards to make sure the square was definitely ticked off.

I’m probably mad.

There are also 3 squares on a peninsula just south of where I live. Huge area, fenced off (former explosives factory) and I’ve never been able to get access.....
Yes your quite mad :okay: none of us square chaser would do anything like that :okay: .
While on holiday in Cornwall It annoyed me leaving little headland of lands just not quite in the square I got with no roads or paths to get them . Are boats allowed ?

wajc

Veteran

I’m probably mad.

Sounds like a nice little adventure and adds to the satisfaction you get.

Your location on the coast isn't going to make life easy. I'm in a fairly rural location and the biggest problem I have is large fields and few roads which isn't quite the showstopper that an expanse of water is.

Current max square is 26 x 26 and hoping to one day get on the leader board but really need to dedicate a bit more time to the cause.

bruce1530

Guru
I’m on a 10x10 square, which could easily go to a 13x13 by picking off a couple of strategic but quite inaccessible squares. But there’s sea to the south and west of me, and moorland to the north. I’ve been up the road to one of the wind farms on the moor, but don’t quite have the right sort of bike for the rest :-)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes your quite mad :okay: none of us square chaser would do anything like that :okay: .
While on holiday in Cornwall It annoyed me leaving little headland of lands just not quite in the square I got with no roads or paths to get them . Are boats allowed ?

Of course boats are allowed, as long as they are human powered and not motored!

I'm going to bag a sneaky square tonight. I'm driving up to a scout camp in Nottinghamshire today. My gps will be turned on for a few minutes as I walk around the site.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

I’m probably mad.

Not mad at all. Before @13 rider joined in, he, @tallliman and myself went on a ride where he looked after the bikes whilst @tallliman and myself jogged down a track to bag a square :wacko:

I've ridden down some horrible bridleways and through a building site just to get squares. It's great fun.

bruce1530

Guru
I picked up another tile this morning. It looked like it was an isolated tile, the only one in the middle of a large area that I had visited. I hadn’t looked too closely, but I was sure that it would increase my max square. But no - I’m still stuck at 10x10. There are now about 5 or 6 10x10 squares....

The annoying thing is that I don’t actually live in any of them - the nearest “big square” starts about 3 miles away!

Top Bottom