Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Added three new squares and increased my cluster by four, with a trip out to the delightfully named village of Toot Baldon!

Aiming to get some more rides out this direction so I can cross off all the tiles around Oxford (currently missing some to the south of the city) and hopefully extend as far as Abingdon as well.

Solocle

Über Member
Added three new squares and increased my cluster by four, with a trip out to the delightfully named village of Toot Baldon!

Aiming to get some more rides out this direction so I can cross off all the tiles around Oxford (currently missing some to the south of the city) and hopefully extend as far as Abingdon as well.
I still have a hole at Boars Hill. Generally, my wider Oxfordshire tiles look like I've been at them with a shotgun, as I wasn't tile chasing as a student, although the core around Oxford was done just by sheer weight of rides.
1661115036705.png

Beware those ones just west of Drayton. The A34 is very very tempting, as it easily ticks off all 4 tiles in that section, and acts as a barrier of you don't use it. On a Sunday evening it wasn't horrifying, but nor was it fun.

steverob

Guru
Looks like I do already have Boars Hill crossed off due to a ride from September last year, although it is pretty much at the limit of my current main cluster admittedly.

The route marked in green below is the ride I did that got me that tile, whereas the route in light blue out to the east is the one that I did today.
Image1.png

I don't think there's any danger of me going on the A34 or any road of that ilk! I usually look for bridges over or routes under any major highway; maybe if I'm lucky a cycleway that runs alongside it is the closest I'll come.

Admittedly last Sunday I did do a ride on a dual carriageway bypass (that probably gets about a quarter of the traffic that the A34 does) but I only went on that because I was riding it at 6:30am to avoid the heat!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Something different today.I had volunteered to drop a relative of at Stansted airport this morning ,which meant driving back along the A14 which is basically my southern edge . A plan was hatched and route plotted,put the bike put on the roof off to Stansted back to Maidwell in Northamptonshire park in a quiet lane . Then set of a square grabbing ride with plenty of dead ends to fill a large hole near my bottom left corner . 18 squares total now 5389 ,max cluster up by 33 to 2860

Part of the reason for my bank holiday ride a few weeks back was to grab tiles and increase my max square. Although I grabbed more tiles (up to 9649 now I was at 9636), I was scuppered by private property on a few so although my max square is repeated five times its still 19x19. I might be able to extend the grid east of where I am as its currently 3/4 or more west side dominated but the east side (the Fens) is so bleak and boring at times
Velo viewer.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Down Stratford-upon-Avon way to get Lower Quinton for the A-Z Villages photo thread saw me bag 24 new squares including a couple of awkward ones right on the edge of my max square, max cluster has now reached Stratford-upon-Avon

ukbabz

Über Member
I don't think there's any danger of me going on the A34 or any road of that ilk! I usually look for bridges over or routes under any major highway; maybe if I'm lucky a cycleway that runs alongside it is the closest I'll come.

It is possible to get the A34 from around the A40, down to Newbury without going on the A34 but some do require a trip on a MTB / Gravel bike.

Top Bottom