Velo Viewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
6 new squares today which increased the max cluster by 9.

Only one off road, and then it wasn't that far down the bridleway (you can see the road in the middle of the picture.) Locals must have been having trouble with people off roading with cars as they had put two hay bales to narrow the route and in between were some iron girders. Luckily I saw them and hopped off the bike before hitting them and coming off.

IMG_0072.JPG

Sallar55

Veteran
Five tough tiles on a run today, well worth it for the views. Was lucky no cars on the single-track, stop start on the climbs would be a nightmare.

Screenshot_20220924-193524~2.png

DSC_0453.JPG

DSC_0458.JPG

13 rider

Guru
Today's imperial ton ride targeted my bottom left corner in and around Solihull. Took me 2hrs 42 mins to get to my first square ( it's getting harder ) . 20 new squares total now 5419 max cluster up 19 to 2879 and max square jumped up 1 to 46*46.

Sallar55

Veteran
Still have a section of main road and tracks to do. Mull is still busy but the weather is going downhill, should deter the fairweather campervans over the coming winter.

Screenshot_20220925-200452.png

I plotted a route quickly last night to bag some tiles. I didn't expect to ride it though and met a mate for 35miles off road. After leaving him I went for a cafe stop and decided since it was a mild and sunny day I'd go for a few more miles before it greyed over and started on that route. It never greyed over. Lol, at first the route was great but when I got near the tiles I wanted it turned into a bit of hike-a-bike. After struggling across a Wild Fen with no clear path I gave up. Somehow though it looks like I got the square I wanted. It seemed impossible to get into the actual nature reserve which was surrounded by a large field drain. So I went round the other side, it looks though that I looped round before I got the final tile I wanted. I did get 4 though which brought my tile up to 20x20 and brought my max cluster up by 8.
Screenshot_20221002-205406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-215554_Chrome.jpg

steverob

Guru
Inspired by this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/veloviewer-heathrow-airport.287984/ - I decided to go and do it myself and add the perimeter roads around Heathrow to my map. It was on my eventual list anyway and it gave me an excuse to go tile hunting in South Bucks to help fill in some other gaps as well.
Animation1.gif

39 new tiles in total, with 19 added to the cluster.

Note that the tiles around Heathrow itself don't officially count towards my main cluster yet, as they are only linked on a diagonal, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fix that in a ride in the not too distant future.

slowridr

Just discovered this thread after spending a lot of the summer crossing off tiles in the New Forest: up to 10x10 now and not far off 12x12.

It's probably a really common question but how do you deal with tiles that are 'impossible'? I'm a little hemmed in by the coast and have identified a few areas in the forest where there is no 'official' right of way but there are 'tracks' on the map that are indistinguishable from actual bridleways etc. Is it a case of being easier to ask forgiveness than permission? Clearly I'm not going to climb over gates or into people's gardens but a track is a track, right?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Just discovered this thread after spending a lot of the summer crossing off tiles in the New Forest: up to 10x10 now and not far off 12x12.

It's probably a really common question but how do you deal with tiles that are 'impossible'? I'm a little hemmed in by the coast and have identified a few areas in the forest where there is no 'official' right of way but there are 'tracks' on the map that are indistinguishable from actual bridleways etc. Is it a case of being easier to ask forgiveness than permission? Clearly I'm not going to climb over gates or into people's gardens but a track is a track, right?

I go down anything. Never been caught yet, but I'd just claim I thought I was on a right of way and politely retreat.

steverob

Guru
It also depends on how far down said track you need to go in order to claim the tile. At least once I've parked my bike up against a fence, unclipped the GPS device from the handlebars and stuffed it in my pocket, vaulted the fence, walked the 20 or so metres I needed to cross the border, then walked back and rode away again!

Also if there are some really difficult tiles you're not sure about you can always flag them up on here - you never know if someone else might already have crossed them off and can provide advice. Maybe they came at it from a different direction to what you were considering.

slowridr

It also depends on how far down said track you need to go in order to claim the tile. At least once I've parked my bike up against a fence, unclipped the GPS device from the handlebars and stuffed it in my pocket, vaulted the fence, walked the 20 or so metres I needed to cross the border, then walked back and rode away again!

Also if there are some really difficult tiles you're not sure about you can always flag them up on here - you never know if someone else might already have crossed them off and can provide advice. Maybe they came at it from a different direction to what you were considering.

For example...
1665763761703.png

https://somerley.com/ It's a stately home and wedding venue, where they film The Crown, all private property. The lane in the NE corner past Ellingham Farm to Old Somerley (a small mansion house) might be technically accessible (planning to go and look) but otherwise could be a no-go.

Top Bottom