Velosolo Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I hereby announce the formation of the Velosolo Club. The idea behind the club is very simple. It's for people who usually ride alone.

Velosolo Club rules are as follows:
- Dress is informal, meaning cycling kit isn't required to go on a club ride. Rapha may be worn if ironed.
- There are no UCI-type regulations as to the specifications of the bike, though fixed-gear fanciers will be watched very closely.
- Stop at red lights, go like a bat out of hell when they turn green. If you can go like a bat out of hell. If you can't, no worries.
- Undertaking is forbidden unless you are a qualified undertaker. Certificates may be obtained from the club office.
- Other riding customs as your experience and sense of propriety dictate.
- Minimum club ride distance is as follows: any ride which takes longer than the preparation for that ride.
- More or fewer rules as they become necessary.
No affiliation with the online shop of the same name

Now, I recognise that sometimes it's nice to go for a spin with other people. Occasionally I do this, but it's difficult as my weekends are usually spoken for. Therefore I propose the following: If some portion of the territory between the vibrant metropolises of London and Hastings is of interest

velosolomap500.gif

and you would like to enjoy an atypical club outing, defined here as a non-solo ride, get in touch and we'll see what can be arranged.

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
The voices usually come with me on my rides - does that count as solo? :laugh:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
I never ride alone, I have my bike with me, which I talk to quite a lot. I assume this is normal.
Essential I'd have thought but do have the patience to listen carefully to its responses as bicycles never lie unless some egotistical fool applies the wrong decals. Overheard on a club run many years ago "So you really think that,s a Colnago huh, curious use of stamped dropouts, must be a prototype"

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Had my first official VC ride the other day. In keeping with best club practice I wrote it up and posted it where nobody is likely to find it. Here's a picture of one of the sights I saw along the way:

wickerman.jpg

As to this business of talking to our bikes, remember that it is polite to speak its language. For example, should I care to have a word with my Enigma, English will be fine as it was made here in Sussex. Components are a complication; the cranks are Sugino, so to coax them to a higher cadence I should ideally memorise a few flattering phrases in Japanese.

Many a time I've heard passing cyclists singing to their Campagnolo groupsets in beautiful or at least enthusiastic Italian.

Last edited:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
As to this business of talking to our bikes, remember that it is polite to speak its language. For example, should I care to have a word with my Enigma, English will be fine as it was made here in Sussex. Components are a complication; the cranks are Sugino, so to coax them to a higher cadence I should ideally memorise a few flattering phrases in Japanese.

Many a time I've heard passing cyclists singing to their Campagnolo groupsets in beautiful or at least enthusiastic Italian.

Aaaah. Now it's all clear, often wondered why my Flying Scot understands everything I say. Yet the Jensen from Croydon doesn't and I have to speak VERY VERY LOUDLY and slooooowly. He's a sarf lunduner and doesn't speak english:whistle:

Top Bottom