velovie bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I know the bikes are built using tube to tube. Where the top, head, down and seat tubes are separate parts that are bonded together and wrapped with a bit of carbon. The head tube and top tube are molded as a single piece. The seat stays are molded as a single unit and bonded to the seat tube, the chain stays are also molded as a single unit.
I'm not a fan of this type of production process as the understanding of carbon fibre production is such that closed molds are common place these days. There is no noticable advantage of tube to tube other than costs of production or ease imho, neither of which benifit the consumer.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Ok thanks...I'm guessing that adds up to a less sturdy frame then right?

Not particularly, the results are still strong but imho its using a old manufacturing process of effectively joining tubes.
One of the advantages of Carbon fibre construction is the ability to change the characteristics of the material with the lay up, when you are joining pre-formed shapes you are limited by the sections you have at your disposal. It is also harder to create bikes with complex areo shapes using this process.
This is why the majority of the frames have a traditional appearance and the tubes do not feature bends on the top tube, or shaped head tubes, Even the Time Trial bikes have at best flattened tubes. Compared to bikes from other manufacturers the shapes are not so adventurous

There is nothing physically bad about making bikes in this way, its my perception of the process which makes me not like it. IMHO I think its a cheap process which requires less investment from the company involved, I have concerns about quality control when the company is dependent up buying carbon tubing/pre-formed sections from a third party and assembling them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom