1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ventoux/bedoin advice

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by peejay78, 10 Feb 2008.

1. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

anyone know a good, cheapish (or whatever) hotel in bedoin, maybe sault, somewhere to tackle the ventoux?

2. Bonj Hovi

Bonj Hovi New Member

I don't know of any personally. The sight of Mt Ventoux was enough to ensure that I stayed in Orange and do touristy things.

However this site might be useful:

http://www.provence-hideaway.com/213.html

Good luck with the ascent.

3. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

word of advice - I personally wouldn't recommend tackling ventoux on a fixie.

4. peejay78

considering that i don't ride fixed around the yorkshire moors, out of hebden bridge, or the cols of kent, i think it's unlikely in the extreme that i would attempt the ventoux. that would be hubris of a most uncomfortable sort. plus, i'd probably get about 1km up. and even with a spinny gear, imagine if i did get up - the descent would be fatal.

which is why i'm doing it on a geared bike.

a bike with gears.

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

peejay, I'm staying at Craig Entwhistle's place at Faucon nr Ventoux in June. It comes highly recommended by cyclists and by the time I'd factored in transfers and convenience it wasn't much dearer.

http://www.veloventoux.com/

6. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

I'd second rich p's advice - stayed with Craig a few years ago when he was near Nyons. A benefit of not staying in Bedoin or Sault is that you are warmed up before you start climbing!

7. gavintc

gavintc Guru

We have stayed with Craig for a few days the last 2 years; once at Nyons and last year at Faucon. I can highly recommend him. His current place is beautiful in a quiet little village.

8. peejay78

brilliant, i'd forgotten all about veloventoux. thanks people.

9. mootaineer

mootaineer New Member

Michelin Carbon Krylion

I Michelin Carbon Krylions (front) and Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase (rear) on my riding trip last summer, when I rode from London to Nimes (and then the Med). It's not a bad combination.
    At the moment I've switched to using the Krylions at the back and grippier Continental 4000s at the front.
    No punctures through the entire trip (but had about 4 in succession when I came home so changed to a new set).

I took my single speed (I'm not generally confident enough to ride fixie) up the Ventoux. It was a real slog but still managed it in just over 2hrs.
    By the way the ride down was very hairy...windy and fast!
    Also, I'll take a geared bike next time ;)
    95% of the time the 1 gear was fine but on the odd occasion (climbs) it was quite hard.

A few pics here:
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mootaineer/LondonToMediterraneanSep2007

10. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

My advice....
    Don't drive 4 hours with the family to get there.
    Don't set-off at midday in 100F heat, high humidity and no wind.

Enjoy the descent...it's awesome!

11. mootaineer

mootaineer New Member

oops

:blush: Oooops...replied to the wrong post...

12. rich p

Interesting nevertheless!

I also only use one gear for climbing mountains - the lowest one!

13. peejay78

ok. sensible replies only.

i ride a double all year round, standard road, 53/39. i ride a 76" fixed to work and back, around 15 miles a day. mondays i do 25 miles on fixed. weekends i ride gears, round kent, up hills and down.

is it especially foolhardy, prior to going too ventoux, to think about not changing the cassette or front to a compact?

14. Zoom

Zoom New Member

I'm entering the 50km permanent Audax ride in June; no idea where it starts from but I want to ride up from Bedoin.

15. rich p

Only you can say, really. I definitely wouldn't have got up Alpe d'Huez without my 30/25 but then I'm an old git