ventoux/bedoin advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peejay78

anyone know a good, cheapish (or whatever) hotel in bedoin, maybe sault, somewhere to tackle the ventoux?

Bonj Hovi

peejay78 said:
anyone know a good, cheapish (or whatever) hotel in bedoin, maybe sault, somewhere to tackle the ventoux?

I don't know of any personally. The sight of Mt Ventoux was enough to ensure that I stayed in Orange and do touristy things.

However this site might be useful:

http://www.provence-hideaway.com/213.html

Good luck with the ascent.

bonj2

peejay78 said:

word of advice - I personally wouldn't recommend tackling ventoux on a fixie.

OP
OP
P

peejay78

considering that i don't ride fixed around the yorkshire moors, out of hebden bridge, or the cols of kent, i think it's unlikely in the extreme that i would attempt the ventoux. that would be hubris of a most uncomfortable sort. plus, i'd probably get about 1km up. and even with a spinny gear, imagine if i did get up - the descent would be fatal.

which is why i'm doing it on a geared bike.

a bike with gears.

I'd second rich p's advice - stayed with Craig a few years ago when he was near Nyons. A benefit of not staying in Bedoin or Sault is that you are warmed up before you start climbing!

gavintc

Guru
We have stayed with Craig for a few days the last 2 years; once at Nyons and last year at Faucon. I can highly recommend him. His current place is beautiful in a quiet little village.

mootaineer

Michelin Carbon Krylion

I Michelin Carbon Krylions (front) and Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase (rear) on my riding trip last summer, when I rode from London to Nimes (and then the Med). It's not a bad combination.
At the moment I've switched to using the Krylions at the back and grippier Continental 4000s at the front.
No punctures through the entire trip (but had about 4 in succession when I came home so changed to a new set).

I took my single speed (I'm not generally confident enough to ride fixie) up the Ventoux. It was a real slog but still managed it in just over 2hrs.
By the way the ride down was very hairy...windy and fast!
Also, I'll take a geared bike next time ;)
95% of the time the 1 gear was fine but on the odd occasion (climbs) it was quite hard.

A few pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mootaineer/LondonToMediterraneanSep2007

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My advice....
Don't drive 4 hours with the family to get there.
Don't set-off at midday in 100F heat, high humidity and no wind.

Enjoy the descent...it's awesome!

mootaineer

oops

mootaineer said:
I Michelin Carbon Krylions (front) and Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase (rear) on my riding trip last summer, when I rode from London to Nimes (and then the Med). It's not a bad combination.
At the moment I've switched to using the Krylions at the back and grippier Continental 4000s at the front.
No punctures through the entire trip (but had about 4 in succession when I came home so changed to a new set).

I took my single speed (I'm not generally confident enough to ride fixie) up the Ventoux. It was a real slog but still managed it in just over 2hrs.
By the way the ride down was very hairy...windy and fast!
Also, I'll take a geared bike next time ;)
95% of the time the 1 gear was fine but on the odd occasion (climbs) it was quite hard.

A few pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mootaineer/LondonToMediterraneanSep2007

:blush: Oooops...replied to the wrong post...

OP
OP
P

peejay78

ok. sensible replies only.

i ride a double all year round, standard road, 53/39. i ride a 76" fixed to work and back, around 15 miles a day. mondays i do 25 miles on fixed. weekends i ride gears, round kent, up hills and down.

is it especially foolhardy, prior to going too ventoux, to think about not changing the cassette or front to a compact?

Zoom

Über Member
I'm entering the 50km permanent Audax ride in June; no idea where it starts from but I want to ride up from Bedoin.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Only you can say, really. I definitely wouldn't have got up Alpe d'Huez without my 30/25 but then I'm an old git

Top Bottom